1. 90Q

90Q Newbie

2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Sweet car but the bumpers and door handles look like more "modern" for some reason.
  3. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

@90Q, may still be worth you looking into if you like it.....As mentioned in an earlier post, I sold a car to @JFB and he shipped it up there from Texas....would really be worth you reaching out to him.
  4. 90Q

90Q Newbie

Honestly! I enjoy the Papyrus white the most so this isn't what I was really looking for ( hope this doesn't sound too picky). I did shoot him a message to @JFB so I hope that when he has the time to reply we can exchange some good information.
    Shipping from Texas sounds like quite a big feat! It is nice to know that story has a happy ending too. You guys are awesome for the helpful tip offs.

It doesn't quite add up in my head being a "1966" either because I thought the dashboards were different ( I skimmed through the changes through the year post that was amazingly helpful to read!). But still a nice looking car :)
  5. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

A lot of them are not properly identified by year.....They are registered however they could be to be legal and since it can be hard to identify, there are a decent number of cars like that out there. I just wouldn't hold too much stock in the advertised year of a lot of the ones you see....It is possible too for the car to have gone through a regeneration program in the 80's which would have updated everything and the car would then show an "E" at the end of the VIN.

Unless it went through that program, then you're correct and it is definitely NOT a '66
  6. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I also noticed it has a later model steering wheel and dashboard so it might be a reconditioned model. To me, overall condition is way more important than if it has the "correct" year parts on it.

As long as it has a clear title and the VINs match that's all that really matters! It's not like any DMV in this country would know the difference if someone had swapped VINs.
  7. JFB

JFB Puttering Along

With a communist car, it's very hard to find a model that is 100% original. In my case, my car was modified on dashboard and is a mixture of various models. But it's OK. After some research with the help of a friend, we found all the history of the car and it's pretty funny.
    My car was rebuilt by an IFA authorized dealer who replacedthe frame.
    It's a 1965 regenerated in 1987 with a brand new fame. The motor was replaced in 1974 according to the serial number. And the dashboard is from a Wartburg!
    Now if you buy from someone very far, make sure that you deal with an honnest guy.
    I was lucky because @Justin gave me help and he took the time to keep the car in his garage during the winter, we agreed for the sale near the end of the summer and I took delivery of the car only in May, that was perfect because I had no place to store the car in the middle of winter.
    Anyway, just find the right seller :)
    Justin likes this.
  8. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

So the car is not listed any longer on Craigslist. Did it end up selling?
  9. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

If it did, hopefully we'll find out soon :)
  10. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

This was never a real car. It was an ad someone in Europe placed to get Americans to contact them about brokering an export deal. Such ads pop up over and over, they have even been on this forum.
  11. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

If you see that on the forum again, flag it.
  12. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Loyal Comrade

any photo(s) of the car that was in the ad that was flagged ... ??

or anything regarding the post .. ??
  13. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

I mean that if you see an ad for a car or parts that clearly not legitimate, flag the post so I can remove it and block/ban/discourage whoever posts it.
  14. 90Q

90Q Newbie

I am sorry I did not know that was the real meaning behind that posting. I did not mean to spread links that were of that nature.
  15. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

No worries, I didn't know either, someone else figured it out.