1. Iker

Iker Newbie

Hello everybody!

My name is Iker and I'm from Spain. As I've explained in the thread title, I'd like to buy a Trabant as my first car. I'm exploring its posibilites as a dayly use vehicle. I know it can be tricky as well as difficult but I'm not scared to consider a little investment into the car in order to get a functioning Trabant for dayly use. I could obviously go for a more functional car ( in today's standards). However, the Trabant's look is just too awesome for me and I fell in love with it the very first moment I saw Goodbye Lenin, among some other appearances later.

Hope you can give me some advice about the possibilities of owning a Trabant and the modifications I'd be able to use if I could, in order to use it dayly. I'm a newbie here, and, just as Socrates I know nothing, so please be kind. I'm, nevertheless, eager to learn as much as I can about this mithic car of the DDR. Hope you can all help me getting started, and I'll be able to help out you all in this beautiful community.

Cheers, Iker.
  2. Bill

Bill Smoking Along

I think A Trabant would be a great car for you! They are very simple to repair, and spare parts are not expensive. The only limitation that I have experienced is their low top speed.
    This may not be a problem for you though. I live in the United States with many high speed roads and the Trabant cannot always keep up with traffic.
    Iker likes this.
  3. Iker

Iker Newbie

Thanks for the advice and your most kind words mate! I'd really to get a Trabant, fixing it beforehand and having a good maintenance of it. In Spain, most speed highways have a minimun speed of 60km/h, so I really hope the Trabant could keep the rythm. Also, I was wondering if is it possible to add some fuel counter and some accesories, like a radio, to the original Trabant.

Thanks for your advice.
  4. Bill

Bill Smoking Along

The Trabant can easily travel at 60kph. My Trabant is very comfortable at 80kph. It can go faster, but that seems like a good speed for it.
    It should be no problem to add a radio. My Trabant was converted to 12 volt by a previous owner, so I could install a new radio easily if I wanted to.
    If you chose a car with a 6 volt system, you can probably find a voltage adapter that will allow you to use a modern radio in it if you want.