1. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Hello All,

The Forum was contacted through our facebook page about the Concourse D'Elegance in Des Moines, Iowa. They will be featuring a class this year that will specifically focus on "Cold War Cars". This could be a great place to show off your Trabi or other East Block auto. The class is specifically "Behind the Iron Curtain Class – Vehicles manufactured in Eastern Europe and Russia during the Soviet Union/Communist era". So this will be for any Soviet era cars not just Trabants. So any Lada, Barkas, Polski Fiat, Syrena, Wartburg, or any other owners could make a good show too. The application is located on their website along with more details. I encourage anyone interested to get in touch with them or apply.

Des Moines Concours D'Elegance <-- Click Here for website

Dates are Sept 7-8 2019. Full schedule is also on the website. The class chairman is Scott Slaughter. If you would like to contact him with any questions let me know and I can pm you his email.
  2. Berlin89

Berlin89 Puttering Along

There's a least one Trabi in Iowa :cool:
    BillB, trabant601 and Caleb like this.
  3. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

I think its great that they are featuring an entire class dedicated to Eastern Block cars. Hopefully they have a good turn out.
    BillB and trabant601 like this.
  4. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Just wonder how many East Bloc cars there are in North America that are concourse quality.
  5. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Forum Donor

All of them
    trabant601 likes this.
  6. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

If I read their site correctly they are looking more for functioning, driver cars. Not museum queens. They expect to see flaws from regular usage.
  7. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

That is me for sure. Maybe Wartburg353W and I will ride out to Iowa again. Come on now.
    BillB likes this.
  8. BillB

I just registered today. For the first time this year, the event won't conflict with anything.
    315 miles from my house. If I drive the slow route on US 30 (Lincoln Highway), it's just over 6 hours.
    Bring some pre-mix Motul and we are good to go!
    Wartburg353W likes this.
  9. BillB

Eric, you're not that far off US 30, correct?
    Maybe there is an adventure theme here somewhere...….
  10. BillB

Jeff, I completely forgot that you are right next to Eric.
    A three car caravan heading west on US 30?
    I wonder if Keri would be interested in going?
  11. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

I'm in Virginia by my ol' dad Nielhoback is there just a puff of smoke away from Eric with a beauty white Wartburg Deluxe. He sometimes enjoys a good road trip.