1. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Hi All, RE:- 1989 TRABANT 601S DIP/MAIN BEAM "LATCHING RELAY", BEHIND THE STD. FUSEBOX, TO THE LEFT OF THE DRIVER, BENEATH THE DASHBOARD,...ON THE FRONT FIREWALL.

I had the above original relay stick/fail the other day...and thought it best, in my wisdom, to REPLACE IT WITH A MODERN, EQUIVALENT "LATCHING RELAY" (DURITE 27/25AmpPart no. 0-728-02), WHICH HAS THE IMPORTANT RESISTOR BUILT INTO IT!
    Now I have had it delivered, it has 5 x terminals, rather than the original 4!!
    I knew this when ordering and thankfully MOST of the spade terminal nos., correspond to those on the original unit.
    It would seem that the orig. unit was earther to the 12v neg eaeth car's body, via the relay's base plate, held in place with 2 x small bolts, securely.
    Therefore, I conclude, that I must have to fit an earth lead from one of the 5 terminals on the new unit, to the body, for it to work correctly........However, on the orig. 4 term. unit it had terminals 56, 56a, 56b and 56as + the plate earthing the unit.
    The new one has 56, 56a, 56b,.... 30????....and S????

I do NOT want to blow the £25 relay up, or keep blowing fuses, to test things......So, CAN anyone tell me definitively, as to whether 30 connects to the orig. wire which went to 56as, or to 30.....Although, I reckon, as 30 on most modern relays is a 12v power-in? In which case S would be the one to utlise as an EARTH?

Is this correct,....or am I totally wrong?

ANY DEFINITIVE HELP with sorting this would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

Regards, to you all!!

Ian