1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Continued from this thread: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/look-what-i-found.1119/

I am soon going to do something about this trailer:

[​IMG]
    DSC04397
    by mati0921, on Flickr

The fenders are not the original. They are aftermarket. :)
    I was at the local breakers yard to get a new fusebox for the Ford:
    [​IMG]
    2013-09-19 12.15.26
    by mati0921, on Flickr
    Water had been leaking into it, and ended in the fusebox, disabling most of the electronics in the cabin, and made the airbag lamp light up. :)
    While i was there i spotted a trailer similar to mine, though a bit larger. (wich i dont need, since trabi wont pull anything too large)
    The rims are a lot better condition than those on my trailer, and there was an original fender, wich i can use to create a new set in thicker material myself. :)
    [​IMG]
    2013-09-19 12.15.01
    by mati0921, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    2013-09-19 12.15.11
    by mati0921, on Flickr

I dont have the room to store the trailer. so i had to leave it there. if i had the room i would have bought it. it is probably already scrapped. :(

These trailers are not so uncommon here. there is a second one in this city too. :)
  2. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

A guy wrote an email to me that he needed spares for a trailer like mine, so when i go to the breakers yard on monday i will ask if it still exist, or chrushed. if it is still alive i will buy it, and sell it as spares. :)
  3. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

I brought the trailer from the breakers yard home today:
    [​IMG]
    2013-09-23 15.57.07
    by mati0921, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    2013-09-23 15.56.51
    by mati0921, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    2013-09-23 15.56.40
    by mati0921, on Flickr

The hitch can become functional again with a hammer and a can of WD40. :D
    The torsion springs in the axle are absolutely stuck. i removed the grease studs and filled in some WD40 to loosen them up, and gave the axle some technical guiding, to see if it would come loose, but no luck. :( Anyone know how to loosen those bastards? bolt the axle to something that does not move, mount some long pieces of steel to the suspension arms, and jump on the ends? :D
  4. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

If there is no rubber involved, try heating it a propane torch. Then touch it with a piece of parafin wax which will melt and soak into the cracks. Be careful sometimes the wax will flare up on you if you get the metal too hot.

That always works for me!

Also in the US we can get this stuff called PB Blaster. It's the best rust penetrator I've found. I don't know if it's available outside the country.
  5. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

At the parts market i found a set of never used DDR-Ruhla lights in original packaging:
    [​IMG]
    2013-10-19 19.41.47
    by mati0921, on Flickr
    These could be 30 years old, and the only unused set in the world. found by coincidence in a box under a table. :D
    To use or not to use; that is the question. :)

Also found a set of Ermax licence plate lights with metal housing:
    [​IMG]
    2013-10-19 19.42.42
    by mati0921, on Flickr
    These are Danish made, and the guy had plenty of them so i am going to use them. :)
    [​IMG]
    2013-10-19 19.42.54
    by mati0921, on Flickr
    I cant figure out wich bulps fit them. the bulps must be 45 mm long to fit there. :)
    I am going to check the local automotive parts warehouse to find something that fits. :)
  6. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

I dont think it will be easy to find a new glass for the lights, so i made these boxes to protect them:
    [​IMG]
    2013-11-01 08.35.41.jpg
    by mati0921, on Flickr
    (i am not a proffessional welder:D)
    I will weld them to the trailer, and weld the cracks in the trailer frame, and send it off to galvanization, get some wood for the sides and get the axle and rims sandblasted and painted. :)
  7. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

8. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Looks good! I'm assuming Denmark is mostly flat? How does you car do when pulling it?

Where I live, my Trabant struggles at 50 kph, full throttle just to make it up steep hills with just me in it!

I have a trailer about the same size rated to pull about 1000 kg I pull with my Subaru. If I have it loaded down with something like a riding mower or scrape metal or furniture, I definetly know it's back there. With my V8 Explorer I don't even feel like I am evening pulling anything.

Just like this one only I've added a floor and side rails to it.

[​IMG]