1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. Penfold

Penfold Newbie

Hi all,

I suspect it’s a bad earth somewhere, but trying to fix a provlem with my rear wiper on my ‘86 trabi kombi and noticed that when I out the wiper onto intermittent mode, beside not turning the wiper on, it lights up the rear window heater switch light. Before I go to far with fault finding, any obvious problems I should check first?

Thank you,
    Penfold
  2. Zausel

Zausel Genosse Forum Donor

There are a lot of variations of the wiper switch. I have a switch from a more modern Trabant with four different positions but my old motor is only on and off. Maybe someone used a switch on hand and wired it such that they didn't use intermittent mode and instead turned on the rear window heater which off the top of my head, (and I might remember falsely) was a stand alone button and not one of the knob/turn switches.

That is, said another way, let's say you have four positions on the switch, slow, fast, intermittent and off. Maybe someone hijacked a terminal and routed it to the back window heater. Does this make sense?

When I first bought my Trabant, the blinker was wired incorrectly and would only work on one side because the other side was attached to the brights or horn or something.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  3. Penfold

Penfold Newbie

Good point, I’d not thought about people tinkering! The rear wiper has three positions:
    - intermittent (position 1) - this causes the heated screen switch light to come on
    - fast (position 2) - nothing happens
    - rear wash (works in position 2 with press in)

I’ll trace the wiring properly, I wander if there’s a mix of defective wiper motor and mixed up wiring.

Thanks again,
    Penfold
  4. Zausel

Zausel Genosse Forum Donor

Penfold and RogerDerSchrauber like this.
  5. Penfold

Penfold Newbie

Thank you very much for the diagram. I’ll be taking a copy and confusing myself when I get a chance to start my fault finding!