1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. BillB

    BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Forum Donor

    I did, but knew I'd be the fool to ask (right?).
    Well, it was asked by someone on a German FB Trabant page and I just figured to follow and get my answer.

    It's this thing:


    It's a 6v or 12v accessory port (almost like a cigarette lighter). So I dug around and found that the most common accessory is the "handlampe". I found a bunch of them on eBay.de and just had to have one. Uses the very common 1156 type bulb and has 5 meters of cable (to allow full access around the outside of the car in the dark?). I just love the concept, on the side of the road looking around your car in the dark with the light output of a 21 watt bulb, beautiful.

    Here it is:


    I got it brand new, still in the original packing with the purchase receipt dated 6/89. Even has the "Narva" DDR bulb still in the box.

    I'm almost scared to plug it in, not sure I ever will. But it will make for another great story to tell at car shows!
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  2. mbeamish

    mbeamish Loyal Comrade

    You can still buy the male plugs off ebay etc I have one on a battery charger so to charge the battery i just plug it in ( I have a lamp too) Also you can buy adaptors to give a 'normal' 12 volt socket
    BillB likes this.
  3. Andrewwoey

    Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

    Charging the battery through that socket, is a good idea.
  4. turbofiat124

    turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

    That's called a Hella connector. I guess because it was designed by Hella the German electronics company.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  5. Bill Overbaugh

    Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

    Or because it's hella cool
    BillB likes this.
  6. phi

    phi Loyal Comrade

    I use an adaptor like this (link) to charge my mobile phones and other stuff.
  7. 'bant

    'bant Loyal Comrade

    I bought a similar adaptor and have discovered that certain cigarette lighter socket USB chargers give the right output with a 6v input. Not all of them do though. This makes it possible to use a TomTom on longer journeys and charge mobile phones on a 6v Trabant. I didn't think to use the socket to charge the battery but I might just try that. That is if I don't get round to plumbing in a DEFA socket and charger before next winter.
  8. turbofiat124

    turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

    I tried charging my Motorolla Droid off 6 volts but it doesn't seem to work very well even though the USB adapter drops the voltage down to 5 volts. I think it's a lack of amperage. The battery in the phone is trying to pull more current than what the adapter can provide. I haven't even attempted this with my new MOTO Z that requires 3 amps to charge the battery.

Share This Page