1. Tim S

Tim S Just Slow, Not Stalin Forum Donor

I have to admit to being lazy and not doing a Google search before posting this but believe me I will be searching!;)

Some of you might have seen my thread about removing undercoating :mad:.

I've determined that the only practical way to do this and the rest of the prep work that I have to do is by rotating the car over or at least tilting at a high enough angle so that I can do the work. Tall jack and tilting stands as originally used would be great but I would like something a little more sturdy and attainable.

Anyone here do this before by welding up a rotating jig of some sort? I am sure that I've seen this done somewhere on the interwebs before and I need to start searching.

Any help appreciated!
  2. TheHun

TheHun Puttering Along Forum Donor

2 old tires, 2 2x4s and a couple of strong friends is all thats needed, place the tires such that the B column attachment area to the roof is where the car lands on them, once the car is on its side cut the 2x4s to size and. U can make a T on each side at the appropriate angle,drill 2 large decking screws into thw grownd and you are good. You will be able to reach the bottom rocker no worries....done this 2 times 25yrs ago
  3. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

Or you could find a Trabant Kippvorrichtung. I have one but haven’t had the guts to try it out yet.
  4. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

I use mine all the time. Just follow the directions. If you have to force anything while doing it, stop, and reverse the procedure. Usually it's because the cable doesn't wind up right. Oh, and make sure you use the two jack stands to support the other side of the car. And don't forget the tall jack stand on the high side, too. Tire pressure alone is not enough to support a whole car on its side.
  5. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Not that I have tried it yet, but what about the many videos I have sen with Trabis being driven balanced on 2 wheels at 45 degree angle?
  6. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

I'd rather be in a Trabi as it fell four feet, than under it.
  7. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

I agree but I was just wondering what evidence you have to back up your statement that tires would come off their rims if the car was on 2 wheels. Even on 2 wheels and when under heavy cornering especially when racing/rallying etc. tires seem to me to stay on their rims so please explain your reasoning.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019