1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. GroupCaptSlow

GroupCaptSlow Newbie

Hey everybody I'm John (or JC if you like), I live in central Ohio. My dad spent the better part of the 1980's doing intel work with the US army in West Berlin, and growing up I heard stories about Berlin, the Wall, and the East. Ever since I was a kid I've wanted a Trabant, and now that I'm older and I'm able to go out and get one, well I'm gonna try and hunt one down! Though I have no mechanical experience I'd love a Trabi to tinker with as a fun project on the side. I've just recently discovered Trabantforums and I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction as far as buying a Trabant and keeping it running, I'm really excited to be here!
    BillB likes this.
  2. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Forum Donor

3. GroupCaptSlow

GroupCaptSlow Newbie

I'm thinking you may be right! I saw it yesterday when I first signed up, and I've been kinda lusting after it ever since. Just gotta talk to the girlfriend first and work out a way to get it from Tennessee to Columbus... at that price it's hard to say no, but I'm really not sure how I'd get it here.
  4. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Trailer?
  5. BillB

Yes, if you have access to something with a class 3 hitch, rent a trailer from U-Haul.
    If you're really looking, there are not many of them around to chose from and zero at this price range. Besides, one more in Ohio and you guys can have your own car show/club.
    OTtO (Ohio Trabant Owners)
    GroupCaptSlow and Steve like this.
  6. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Welcome to the forum. Best of luck to you finding a Trabi.... although the harder task may be convincing the girlfriend. I am hosting a get together of Trabant owners in May (check out the car shows posting) down in KY. Great way to learn about the cars is getting together with other owners.
  7. GroupCaptSlow

GroupCaptSlow Newbie

Trailer looks like my best bet, though I may not have a tow vehicle... I'm asking around to try and borrow one. And a trailer from U-Haul looks like my only option. Only problem might be having a garage for it to live in...
    Surprisingly the girlfriend is completely on board! She even loves the color!
  8. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

I am pretty sure you can rent a truck and trailer from Uhaul. Just make sure you get the full trailer and not the car dolly. Its a tight fit on the full trailer since they have an open center and the Trabi wheels are just far enough apart to make it work.
  9. GroupCaptSlow

GroupCaptSlow Newbie

U-Haul is actually quite a bit cheaper than I'd figured. Only about $140 for the vehicle trailer! Now my only hurdle is a garage or a shelter for it.
  10. BillB

John, you should contact Justin and get something going.
  11. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

Hi, I'm in the UK but also hope to become a future owner.

I do however also have lot of experience towing and transporting cars on trailers, one thing I'll say to you is make sure you have plenty of ratchet straps to hold it down. When I transport a car I normally have a ratchet on each corner of the car as well as the trailer winch on the car. It's also a good idea to check for any loose items that may come off at motorway speeds and check the doors, bonnet and boot are securely shut.

Good Luck and I look forward to seeing your progress. S.
    GroupCaptSlow likes this.
  12. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

Girlfriends come and go. Trabants are forever.
    GroupCaptSlow likes this.
  13. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

Experience talking: Over the wheel towing straps work great on the front of a Trabant, not at all on the back, since the back is so light, it bounces. Run the rear straps through the slots in the wheels instead. Find some old fire hose as cushioning, so the wheel slots don't chafe and wear through the straps. Ratchets on all four straps, good and tight.
    IronJaw likes this.
  14. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

Notice I said corner and not wheel ;) I always strap the cars down via their suspension, chassis or eyelets and never the wheels if it can be helped.