1. Robert tamas

Robert tamas Puttering Along

I wanted to see if there would be any intrest in some trabis I am going hungry Jan 2017 to ship mine back home and I and tossing the idea around to bring back 4 trabis and selling them just wanted to see if anyone on here would be interested in buying one it would be around March by the time they would be here and ready to buy
  2. Robert tamas

They would be in Houston Texas
  3. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

depends on price condition and if they have all the paper work hs7 and so forth.
  4. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

I think that they would easily sell at the $3500 price range if they are in good condition (for P601's). Historically, Trabis priced over that have a tough time selling. There is a very nice Kombi on eBay fight now with the starting price of $3,750 with no bids and one that has been listed several times with a starting bid of $5,500 (no one has ever bid on this one).
  5. Robert tamas

As time passes I'll keep everyone updated 3500 to 4000 was the price I had in mind and as far a condition I have someone I trust looking and buying the cars for me I know what to look for and so does he I may keep one along with the one I own I always wanted to put a wartburg engine in one but thanks for the input
  6. EasternBloc

EasternBloc Interkosmos Trabinaut Forum Donor

I'd be interested in a 1.1 if the condition is good and paperwork is present.
  7. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

I'd be interested in a 1.1 if the condition is good and paperwork is present. same i want a kombi. or a cheap rust free kombi rolling shell has to have good papaers
  8. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I had a chance to buy a 1.1 and a 601 both for $5000 in mint condition. From the same guy in Miami that imported my 81 model.

The problem was they were 1991 models so he could not obtain titles because they did not meet the 30 year exemption law in Florida and neither could I because Tennessee's exemption law is also 30 years because they were "too new". The importer said someone ordered the cars and when they found out they could not register them, they bailed out and left him hanging so he had to sell them at a loss. Or whatever he paid for renting the container.

Laws may vary from state to state. I think California is 25 years but most states are 30 years. Just keep that in mind.

If I had to do it all over again I would have bought the cars and sourced some older VINs, obtained titles and just swapped them.

I've never been pulled over by the police in my Trabant and had anyone inspect the VINs.

Like most people, I have had police pass me once they get a whiff of that 2 cycle smell!
  9. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

I would be interested in a 601s Kombi if it is in the $3500 range, Preference is baby blue ( so I would have a matching pair !!). However it must be rust free ( this is the main requirement) I have battled the the rust worm in too many cars over the years and unfortunately rust usually wins. Of course would need to be running as I would need to have it shipped.
    In West Virginia we do not have emissions testing ( just safety) so this would not be a problem. I'm not sure if we have a 25 or 30 year exemption law.
    The most difficult problem I had with my car is that it still had the original German title, it took a few months to get a west virginia title, and the ladies at the DMV would suddenly go on break when they saw me walk in.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  10. Robert tamas

I going have them titled in Texas before selling them
  11. Robert tamas

I'm already going to have to jump hoops to get mine titled might as well do the others at the same time
  12. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

I was surprised at first when americans complained how difficult it was to get a 'title' on a foreign car . It's very cheap ,quick and easy to get a foreign car registered in the UK. Strange really . I acquired my Barkas with zero paperwork and even the number plates were removed still managed to get it registered easily for around £60
  13. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

If you were able to put something together I may be interested in a light blue P601 in good condition. Also in a Trabant Tramp, Barkas, or older Wartburg. Also, I would love to track down an EMW R35 motorcycle.
  14. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

@mbeamish that is because in the UK, it's not unheard of or uncommon for people to move to different countries, like we move states in the US. Since countries are smaller, Europe has adapted to this.

In the US, it's not the same, we're a VERY large country and it's rare to have people move into our country from anywhere other than Canada (which has similar rules to us) or from Mexico (and they usually don't bring a car)
  15. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

If you can get them registered in Massachusetts, as I did with mine, one should be able to get them registered in ANY state in the union. If it gets a title from one US state, then it should be no problem to transfer a Trabant title and registration from that state to another.
  16. Brian Krustchinsky

Brian Krustchinsky Loyal Comrade

I could always use another Trabbi
  17. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

18. Brian Krustchinsky

Brian Krustchinsky Loyal Comrade

I sold the Kombi, but always looking for another, especially since I got a 2000 square foot shop now. Need to fill it up.
    Justin likes this.
  19. Mike M.

Mike M. Newbie

Nice. Saving up all summer to buy one from Hungary, but the shipping to my state of Rhode Island is easily 1.5 times the car's worth, unfortunately. Hopefully it will work out.
  20. Robert tamas

So I have been looking to buy a car for a while I've gotten to this point I bought a kombi and was looking into getting a whole shipping container and putting in 2 more cars at least and I was going to sell them . To my suprise I had a 601 come up for sale locally and I bought it today . Now I have a car in Hungry its at a family members I still plan on bringing that car here and get two more to sell but these plans with the purchase of this car are going to get pushed back for now when I do I will start a new post and let you guys know