1. Tim S

Tim S Just Slow, Not Stalin Forum Donor

After a long time searching and waiting.... I got some nice parts for my restoration.

boxes.jpg
    The big day when some of the packages arrived! :)

Wheels.jpg
    Lucky to find a set of NOS wheels (all 5 but only 4 shown in this picture.)
    Wheels-1.jpg

rabbit_killer.jpg
    View attachment 5760

Bumpers.jpg
    Fairly rare set of bumpers I was told could only be purchased from Intershop. 3 piece I think were harder to find that the 1 piece units but I could be mistaken. Anyways, it made them easier to ship! I believe that Intershop only excepted western currency but I need to research this.

Dash.jpg
    There is a full exhaust system in there somewhere!

NOS parts.jpg

I may post more pics later... as there is more on the way! This car is an addiction! :)
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  2. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

Which vendor did you use to order the parts? I love the chrome bumper!
  3. Tim S

A lot of the parts I got from individuals on the German Trabi forums and Ebay.
    Other parts I got from IFA Heinz in Germany. Martin Heinz is a fantastic seller to work with!
  4. Zausel

Zausel Genosse Forum Donor

Intershop only accepted Western currency, correct. It was so that East Germany was allowed to participate in the world market by offering Western goods to its people and to have a flow of hard Western currency into the country's coffers. It also served to remove Western currency from the general population.

My dad got west packages with west Marks in them and he saved up for a pair of Levi's (I believe they cost him around $200 US at time, mid 70s). And one his friends got scolded by his mother for buying a pack of Marlboro's with a silver dollar he found. She said the silver content was worth more than the cigarettes but he just wanted to be seen with Western cigs.
  5. Tim S

I love DDR history and have become quite a collector of memorabilia both civilian and military besides my Zwickauer rennpappe!

No political motivations involved just intensely interested in the culture of the time.
  6. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

Those are the old style wheels, pretty cool. You can put the real hubcaps and wheel skirts on them.
  7. Your Trabi will like them a lot