1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. Penfold

Penfold Newbie

Hi all,

The trabi has developed a new minor fault which might be an indication of something more severe-ish. When I apply the handbrake it comes up so far before it goes tight, clunks and then sets as it should. There’s nothing obvious at fault, but I suspect that the cable will break if I continue to use it too much more. Perhaps a kink in the cable?

Any thoughts on what it might be and how I can remedy it?

Thanks,
    Penfold
  2. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

Well you can see the cables if you crawl under your Trabant so a visual check should not take more than a couple of minutes. There are also two grease nipples, one on each rear cable which need periodic greasing. Near the grease nipples the cables sit close to the floorpan. There should be two felt/rubber patches that stop the cable from catching on the floorpan. If these are missing then you might get a sound from the cables hitting the floorpan when you apply the handbrake.
  3. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

Perhaps also worth checking that the hand brake lever is properly fastened to the floor.
  4. Penfold

Penfold Newbie

Hi all,

Waited for the car’s MoT to use the excuse to climb under the car. No obvious cause for the clunk and more frustratingly it’s intermittent now.

Most important thing is the car passed her MoT without advisories!

Cheers,
    Penfold