1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. ummeli

ummeli Premium Member Forum Donor

I'd like to add headrests to my 1980 601-s. Is there a way to add them to the existing seats, or do I have to replace the seats entirely?

If replacement is the way to go, are there any seats I could find in the U.S. (e.g. from an old VW Beetle) rather than ship new seats from Germany?
  2. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Forum Donor

Tom, I have a set of Wartburg 1.3 seats that came in my Trabi. I got an original set from Germany and have parked the Wartburg seats in my garage. They will bolt right in and have head rests. They are actually a bit more comfortable than Trabant seats. Let me know if they would be of interest.
  3. ummeli

How much for the pair? Are the seatbelts integrated (I assume not)?
  4. BillB

Tom, Seat belts are not integrated into the seats. I think they were factory standard starting in the early 80's.
    $100 for the pair, but the difficulty is the transport to you. It will likely cost more than the seats just to get them to you.
    I may have a work trip to Dayton in a few months, maybe delivery is possible.
  5. ummeli

Or I could come to you.
  6. BillB

If that works for you, would be happy to visit with another Trabant owner.
    It looks like a 5 1/2 + drive, so it could be done in one day no problem.
    Posting photos in this thread is very size limiting.
    I'll try a PM, if not luck I can email.
    PM inbound
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  7. ummeli

My wife and I looked at the picture: I think we have a deal. :)

Now all we have to do is figure out how the get them from you.

I just started a new job so my life is a little chaotic atm, but I imagine I should be able to get over to Chicago within a couple months.
  8. BillB

No rush, they are yours. My garage is environment controlled, so the seats are safely stored.
    Let me know when you're going to be in the area. I'm southwest of the city, not all that far off I-80