1. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

I looked into getting one from the UK, from a member here, actually, and it seemed to have a lot more paperwork and fees from the UK side than from the German. Maybe being in the Commonwealth might help? ;)
  2. Andrew

Andrew Most Powerful Leader Moderator Forum Donor

Neil aka @TrabantOz brought his Trabi off ebay.de, he is in Victoria, might be worth asking him what his experience was like. I originally was quoted $2-4000 to ship my trabi to nz from Germany... it ended up been a lot more... so take those quotes with a grain of salt... Mine ended up been around $7000NZD + GST + Cleaning + misc fees... They often don't include all the cleaning costs and importation fees that you will end up having to pay once the car has landed.. and the cost of picking the car up and taking to the port cost me 800euros on its own... (From Leipzig to Rotterdam)
  3. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

It sounds expensive, but relatively speaking, it's not bad. Even with the shipping, port and customs costs, on top of the purchase price, a Trabant in very nice shape is FAR cheaper than any kind of US, French or other German antique car in comparable shape. (And they're easy to fix and get parts for.)

A 1960s Dodge Dart in very nice shape in the USA is at least US$25,000. A VW Bug (Käfer) in the US: $15,000 for a reasonably good one.