1. Andrew353w

Andrew353w Newbie

Hi there!

I'm (another!) Andrew, this time from Barnet, on the edges of north London & Hertfordshire. I no longer have a Wartburg, although I have owned 4 in the past, 3 "Knight" saloons and a "Tourist" estate. I'm hoping to lay my hands on another, although I realise they're somewhat rarer than the dental accessories used by poultry! I was (many years ago!) a mechanic (I understand they're now referred to as "technicians") and trained on that "other" famous German marque, Volkswagens!

I read a clever review of a Wartburg once: it started off describing the car as "German, with an unorthodox engine positioned over the driving wheels, able to drive at high speed all day and with legendary reliability-no it's NOT a Volkswagen!" Clever, I thought!
  2. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Welcome. I do like the look of the Wartburg 3 cylinder engine. They also sound nice.

Andy.
  3. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

Hello there
    Now you just have to use your experience with Wartburgs to put a 3 cylinder in to a Trabi for the ultimate German driving machine, lol.
  4. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Hi Andrew from Barnet, I'm still driving around in Wartburgs, in Virginia. Cool that you had a Knight, right hand drive, correct? I'd like to get held of the Knight grille logo and / or an mph speedo. I'm always surprised how many Wartburgs were exported to the UK.
  5. Andrew353w

Andrew353w Newbie

Mine was a mark 4 "Knight" although not QUITE one of the most modern ones imported to the U.K., as mine had a cigar lighter on the dashboard, which was deleted on the last imports. It also had the engine with the 18mm sparking plugs; again, the last imports to this country had 14mm plugs. I did later change the engine in mine to an engine with 14mm plugs.
    Wartburg353W likes this.
  6. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

Funny that wartburg353w should say about the speedometer. I have a one fited to my Trabi so I can read the speed in MPH.
  7. Andrew353w

Andrew353w Newbie

The importers, who also imported Mazda cars into the United kingdom, had a target of 5,000 vehicles per year during the 1970s, although I don't know how many were in fact, imported. The dealerships were often in small, out of the way places, but reviews I've read in motoring magazines said the dealers were enthusiastic about the cars, took the trouble to get to know their customers and cement a relationship with them How different from today, when all the dealer wants to do is sell more and more!
  8. trabant

trabant Newbie

Hello and welcome.