1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. turbokafer

turbokafer Newbie

Hey gang-

Been busy with some other cars of German heritage for a while (among other things, see https://www.facebook.com/HarigLandSpeedRacing) but looking to finally buy a Trabant. I have been a fan going back a few years and just recently saw them in their glory all around Berlin. I am hoping to track down a 601 for a fair price in the near future. I am loving all the pictures and information you all post in these forums. Thanks for everything!

-Kevin
    BillB likes this.
  2. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Forum Donor

Kevin,
    Local Trabant owner living in Plainfield.
    Brought mine over from Germany about 3 years ago.
    Happy to help you in your quest to find a car.
    FWIW, there are an estimated (30) of these cars in the Chicago area.
    Some running and some hiding in garages.
    Likely heading to Winnetka for a Fuelfed show this coming Sunday
    https://www.facebook.com/Fuelfed/
    Would be great to meet you.
  3. BillB

Looked at your FB page. I'm a former Laser L-85 FV owner/driver. We could have lots to talk about.
  4. turbokafer

turbokafer Newbie

Thanks for all the info! I'd love to hear your experience importing the Trabant from Germany. I started following the Fuelfed page on FB and will keep an eye on it. FWIW, it looks like they are based right around the corner from me. My brother is in town from Michigan this weekend, so maybe we can get up to Winnetka on Sunday morning before he has to head home. If we do, I will track down your Trabant and seek you out.

Very cool about the FV. Ours is a team venture with some friends in Iowa and all dialed in to go in a straight line for a mile. Not exactly what they were built for, but still a fun project nonetheless.

-Kevin
  5. BillB

Kevin, Weather permitting, I'll be at Winnetka on Sunday. Pretty easy to find me.... I'm usually the only 6 figure car present. This one features Ferrari, should be good.
    Looking forward to meeting.
  6. BillB

Kevin, waited and watched weather until the last minute. Too close to call. Raining off and on in the North Shore. I just can't drive it in the rain or even potential rain.
    Sorry, hope to meet up soon.
    You're more than welcome to send me a PM if you'd like to come visit Heike here in Plainfield.
  7. BillB

Although it currently looks like a rainy Sunday, Fuelfed is having a show in Hinsdale on the 7th.
    Will be there as long as the weather is good.