1. Hello all

I just imported a Framo 901/2 pickup to the UK. Looking for technical resources for the engine (setting timing, exploded view of carb etc) to get my new purchase on the road.

I only know of 1 other here in the UK, maybe there are more? Anyway,pleased to make your acquaintances!
  2. Andrew353w

Andrew353w Puttering Along

On a rarity scale of 1-10, this must score 9.9! Impressed! I suggest jining the IFA Owners' Club, which might be able to help. The carburettor may be similar to those fitted to Wartburgs, of which I have had some experience a few years ago. Northumbria's quite a journey from north London, particularly given the current travel restrictions!
  3. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

I would love to see pictures
    Andrew353w likes this.
  4. Hello

This is the truck.

Had her running today, but it is undrivable. It's definitely not fuelling properly or the timing is a million miles out, or both. I'll get there in the end.

Attached Files:

5. Oh I already joined, I needed a dating letter for the DVLA.
  6. Andrew353w

That is a thing of beauty! Happy to help, although only via emails and Forums à ce moment
  7. Bill

Bill Smoking Along

Nice!
    I envy those that live in Britain for getting interesting vehicles so much easier than for those of us in the U.S.
  8. Interesting is certainly a word for it, especially the driving experience!! It's a hoot!
  9. Andrew353w

What do the natives make of it, when you drive around the area?
  10. I don't know yet. It's not yet registered and does not run right. Had it for a test spin and zero power, stalls all the time, difficult to start and fuelling is definitely amiss. I'm very new to two stroke, so I'm learning... Adjusting the mixture screw on the carb does nothing though!

11. Andrew353w

TIMING! 2 Strokes are strange beasts to time, since the settings are nothing like a 4 stroke! I'd love to pop round and "have a go", but fear Covid 19 and distance prevents.... In the meantime, here's some thoughts:

1/ The settings for a Wartburg are 24 degrees before T.D.C., and the markings are on the pulley at the front of the engine. Do bear in mind that each plug & coil operate almost as a separate unit, so it's as if you have three one-cylinder engines bolted together, as opposed to one three-cylinder engine running in harmony. I posted a link (it's in Finnish...) on how to set the timing on a Wartburg car. I your engine is a 991cc one, it might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=CVDbsayc1MY&feature=emb_title

I hope it helps! Feel free to PM me for more advice!
  12. Thanks for that. I'll have another look. I bought a workshop manual for the Framo, but it's in German and my German is not quite good enough to read it fluently. I'll have a go when I can get to the workshop again. You're welcome to come have a go when all this is over!
  13. Andrew353w

14. That said. We can't find timing marks on the pulley which is a pain.

I plan to drop the later 353 / B1000 engine in there at some point
  15. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

If you can't find any timing marks on that pulley. You can "make some" via the piston stop method. I had to do it to a Peugeot 203 years ago. Put in a longer spark plug, or the like. Then gently turn it in the right direction until it stops, mark the pulley near at a timing pointer(hopefully it has one), then go the other way, mark pulley. Divide by 2, this is tdc.

A easier way its to use the trabi, barkus, wartburg timing tool-with indicator..... You will need this type of tool either way for timing(not certain if it is right for your threads....)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zuenduhr-Z...IFA-Simson-MZ-Trabant-Tuning-oT-/122482548439
    Andrew353w likes this.
  16. Andrew353w

This ISN'T what I was looking for, but it might help!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GDR-special-tool-TOOL-Timing-Tool-Trabant-Wartburg-B1000/232488996560

The "proper" Wartburg ones are bigger and have a large sliding indicator that shows the timing degrees. I had one years ago... O tempora, o mores! With one of these you don't need the timing marks on the fly-wheel, as the gauge moves exactly in synchronisation with the piston. Using it the timing an be stacked and adjusted very accurately. If you can find one, they're worth their weight in gold!