1. Smokey

Smokey Newbie

Hi, I'm Phil, and this is my new to me 1987 Trabant 601, which some of you may recognise as Simon Clamp's old car.

I've always loved Trabis, and I'm a big fan of 2 stroke motors and have a YouTube channel about rescuing vintage mopeds. I have about 50 old 2 stroke bikes from 1949 - 2002, so drunken me thought one night that maxing my new credit card out with a Trabi on eBay seemed like the right thing to do! Well, drunken me was right, I love this car and I'm keeping it forever. My workmates love it too and they've named it Checkpoint Charlie.

This forum comes up every time I Google questions about Trabant tinkering, so I'm glad to be a part of it as I imagine I'll be needing advice with various "improvements" lol

Cheers,
    Phil

FB_IMG_1579471334477.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Berlin89 likes this.
  2. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

hi welcome i saw your trabi for sale it looks goodhope your having fun with it,im near worksop
  3. Smokey

Smokey Newbie

Thanks Kev, a couple of your posts have helped me out already so thank you for that!! I'm in Southwell so not far away at all, maybe we should meet up at White Post in summer and compare Trabis and have a swift half haha
  4. kev the builder

That would be good southwells.not far at all I'm currently trabi less I sold mine to Steve who took it to Berlin in November I'm still looking for trabi no 4 tho that's how I saw yours for sale
  5. Smokey

Smokey Newbie

They are rather addictive aren't they! Mine seems more or less spot on but I keep trying to find ways to throw money at it to improve it further lol. Do you buy poorly ones and fix them up?
  6. kev the builder

Yes I seem to like projects rusts the biggest problem on them I looked at a couple which were supposed to be ok but we're totally rotten Thorsby classic car show at Thorsby park near ollertons not a bad day out Ive only ever seen 1 trabi there and I've been the one driving it it's on a couple of times a year it's good to pee off the snobs in there mega expensive polished cars with a peasant spec trabi I used to go to the autojumble at Newark if I didnt have much to sell they're great little cars if a little strange and a lot miss understood
  7. Smokey

Smokey Newbie

I've been to Newark autojumble a few times and really enjoyed it, but Thoresby car show sounds fun, I might take the Trabi there in summer! I've only had positive reactions so far but I might make a point of parking it next to an e type or Bentley just to see what happens lol. it'll be a huge contrast if nothing else!
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  8. kev the builder

I went to chesterfield motor fest and they parked me next to a V12 e type he wasn't happy as there was a crowd round my trabi and only a couple looking at his my daughter put a picture on Facebook saying this is what happens when you park a trabi next to an e type and posted a picture of it the mayor even and a d shook my hand and wanted to look under the bonnet I didn't get that when I took my land rover