1. Tyler

Tyler Newbie

Hello, I've recently discovered the Trabant and kinda fell in love with it so I looked around the Internet and found this site, so I'm hopeing I'll find one. Also nice meeting you all in advance.
    Tim S likes this.
  2. Tim S

Tim S Just Slow, Not Stalin Forum Donor

Welcome!
  3. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

There are a lot around for sale in Germany, and you can import one here. If you are in the US, budget yourself 9-10K for purchase, shipping, registration, insurance costs and spare parts. (Check on your local laws, but federally, all Trabants are over 25 years old, so, OK to import them.) Put in more money for travel, if you want to see it first.

Pay a little extra, and get a nice one. You won't regret it. Old, worn-out, rusty cars can be challenging, to say the least.
  4. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

I 100% agree buy a nice one if you can.
    while not hard to work on building a car with lack of easy to get to parts is tuff.
    Yes they have 3k cars out there most are rusty and as you will see rusty crusty cars are not easy to fix and if so is not cheap.

but a 6-10k budget will fetch you a nice trabi
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  5. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

I've gone back and looked at a lot of posts on this forum from enthusiastic newbies who bought a rustbucket, high-mileage Trabi, with the intent of restoring it, and then they are never heard from again. It's too bad when that happens. Restoring a small car is cheaper and easier than restoring a Cadillac or a muscle car, but it's still work.
  6. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

roger my p50 was just like you described 4 owners had goals to finish it and finally the last guy did
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  7. Rezzato

Rezzato Puttering Along

If you go to Hungary you can buy extremely clean Trabants for under $1000. I paid $300 for my first one, had 60km on the odometer, no rust, ran perfect, had a perfect interior, and the paint was a 7 out of 10.
    I paid less than $2000 to have it shipped to Los Angeles from land locked Hungary.
  8. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

rezzato how long ago was that. many that i have seen are ruff or starting to fetch higher money.
    yes i think deals are out there but not as many as 5 years ago