1. Augie

Augie Puttering Along

Hey guys!

I've been looking at a lot of Trabants recently, and wanted to know what I should be expected to pay for one that runs and drives. It doesn't have to be perfect (I'm kind of wanting to do work on whatever one I get, I restore classic American Muscle pretty often) but just something that has a decent jumping off point! I'm even alright with trying to import if the price would be below that of what I would pay for a local Trabant.

Any advice would be really appreciative, as I'm looking at buying one of these as soon as possible.

Thanks!
  2. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

I would say $3000 to $5000 for a decent P601. A nicer fully restored P50 could go as high as $15,000 (which is crazy high, but after fully restoring mine, I was into it about $24,000....Crazy, but I have no regrets)
  3. Augie

Augie Puttering Along

Do you think it would be any less expensive to have one imported? Or would it cost about the same as buying one locally?
  4. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

5. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

Today I sold an old compressor to a couple of Romanians they loved my trabi and said that they're really cheap there one in good roadworthy condition costs about £100 the same car in the UK would cost £1500 not sure how much shipping is to the U.S. But it could make for an interesting holiday/car buying trip
  6. Augie

Augie Puttering Along

I actually hadn't considered looking in other countries. I looked at some Bulgarian sellers just now and saw some Trabants for sale for ~100 Euros. I wish there were cars for sale this inexpensively in America...

I may have to look at some of these, thanks Kev!

While I'm at it I may check out some of the old Barkas'.
  7. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

The Romanian lads said your money goes a long way over there and there's lots of spares the only problem is the language barrier