1. j-j

j-j Newbie

Hi everyone!

I’m just embarking on my hunt for a Trabi. I’m hoping to use it for my wedding car!

I look forward to meeting you all.

Jack
  2. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

Hello Jack, congratulations on the upcoming wedding. Where’s about are you from?
  3. j-j

j-j Newbie

Thanks!

I live in North London, although I am often to be found in the Midlands where my family are from.

Nice to meet you!
  4. Austinpowers

I’m down in the southwest. Have you driven a Trabi before? If not might be an idea to see if there’s any one near to you. That would be happy for you to have a test drive.
    There’s usually a few trabi’s knocking about on eBay. Most are in need of work but some good ones do come up at a decent price. I would say that now is the time to buy one, as they are becoming more sort after and prices are only going one way.
  5. j-j

j-j Newbie

It's a good idea. Perhaps someone will spring up on here.

I have driven a Trabi - once at the Berlin Trabi Safari. It was unforgettable...

I've seen a couple on eBay but none that I've wanted to jump for yet. I've also been looking in Germany, where there still seem to be quite a few. It's hard to work out exactly what condition they're in though. I think for my first one I'd like something that is fairly drivable initially rather than needing a complete re-build. Then maybe in the future I'll look for a project too!
  6. Austinpowers

There’s one in Southampton on eBay at the moment that looks quite good.
    The two main things to look out for on a Trabi is rust and a rattling engine. If you’re good with a welder then rust isn’t such an issue. But if the main bearings on the crank need replacing, then you will need a rebuilt crank. And that will set you back about £500. Even things like piston rings are a lot more expensive than normal 2 stroke parts.
    Most jobs on a Trabi can be done at home with simple tools by anybody. And all parts are available, plus a lot of upgrades to make them more fun and keep up with modern day traffic.
    I have done a few upgrades on mine,and have great fun leaving other cars behind at the traffic lights.
  7. j-j

j-j Newbie

Yes that one in Southampton does look good, I have been considering it. Not much info in the listing though, but the photos seem to show it in decent condition.

I thought Trabi engines rattled anyway :)

What sort of upgrades are you talking about?
  8. Austinpowers

Might be worth sending the seller a message asking for more info.
    The standard carburetor on the Trabi is crap. And if it has the later fuel saving carb it’s even worse.
    You can get a kit to fit a Mikuni bike carb which totally transform the way it drives. More response and a bit more power. The exhaust can be replaced by a sports one which also makes a big difference.
    My Trabi has a rebuilt engine that has been increased to 700cc. It has pistons with only two rings on them instead of three. So less friction and more power. I did some porting & polishing, increased the exhaust ports to fit the exhaust manifold properly. Up rated clutch as the standard one would slip every time I tried to floor it with extra power. Mikuni carburetor & full big bore exhaust system. I do have some hi compression heads from my old engine that I might modify to fit the new barrels.
    It should be close to having just over 40 bhp, which doesn’t sound a lot. But a standard one has 24 bhp so it makes quite a difference to how it goes. In a standard Trabi you slow down on hills, where as I can speed up.
    At 60mph it wants to keep going instead of cruising and you have to keep taking your foot off.
    There’s a lot you can do to a Trabi, the only limitation is money & imaginations.
  9. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Don't part with any money until you see it first is my advice. If you bid and win the one on ebay , make it cash on collection but drive it first and take a good look at the bodywork particularly sills, floorpan and boot floor, and the area under the battery and near the fuel tank where water and therefore rust can collect. Not too much of an issue if you can weld but if you have to pay someone it may be expensive.
    0700 hrs. I have just seen the one on ebay bids have been retracted, so I'd want to know the reason why?
    I have a 1987 saloon which I am currently preparing for sale which you may be interested in if you are not too pressed for time. You can reach me on 07949800132
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  10. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Welcome to the group. Always check the car over and don't over pay for a car. They do appear regularly for sale. People selling them say they are good but they turn out to be rot boxes. Even if they are club members, it best to give the car a good check over. Not all members are honest.

Andy.
  11. j-j

j-j Newbie

Thanks everyone.

Steve - actually that one on eBay didn't seem to sell in the end. I did contact the seller to ask a few questions and didn't get a response. So who knows.

Austinpowers, those mods sound pretty incredible. I had no idea that sort of thing could be done. Also sounds like a fair amount of work for some of it too though. I will definitely consider getting a new carb. Assuming I can first find a Trabi!

I tell you what I am having a slightly hard time with, and that is working out what is a reasonable price and what isn't. I have seen some listed at under £1k all the way through to £10k or more. Most seem around £2k. I'm not after pristine.

Jack