1. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

Hi so I live in the usa and have been here all my life.

My wonderful wife introduce me to the world of Trabants back in 2001(she was an exchange student in bautzen outside of Dresden). Since then I have had the joy of going to germany and seeing these cars first hand.

So summer of 13 wife and i did a small road trip in germany. we had 2 events we had to go to.
    the trabant show and vw classic. wolfsberg was just an added bonus.
    so 2 weeks and 1600 us miles later we did all this.

one amazing trip.

i will post pictures in the next few weeks. I have tons of trabant stuff we have both picked up over the years that i will post picts of in the collectibles area.

[​IMG]
    Keri likes this.
  2. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Welcome to the forums! So do you have. Trabi here in the states?
  3. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

about to wink wink
  4. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

I'll be patient ;)
  5. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

I lived in AZ for a couple years. What part of AZ are you from?
  6. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

grew up in phx area now 90 miles south in tucson
    Justin likes this.
  7. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

So yes i did buy the fl ebay car. Now that the car is in my hands it is a very clean restored version of one. outside is mint and the inside is like a 70s living room, I am very happy with the car and cant wait to get plates so i can hit the slow roads with it.

This car will be mostly a show car to help show what a ddr german car is and was. I know some will say i paid to much, Maybe maybe not, I know what it takes to get a car to this level, been there done that. I find it easier to buy one done then spend years hunting parts to get in to this level and makes it harder when parts have to brought from over the sea.
    RogerDerSchrauber and Justin like this.
  8. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

You are right on the price to do a proper restoration. I am currently restoring my Trabant P50 and am already into it almost $10K plus what I paid for the car. I am glad to have another Trabant in the west. The next time I am in AZ to visit my in-laws I would like to get together and check out your car. You won't ever regret the purchase.
    Keri likes this.
  9. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

jason any time your my way hit me up, if i get your way i will do the same.

so i pulled the door panel off to get all the broken glass out. The previous owner loved this car the paint is just as nice inside the door panel as what is showing the window assembly is smooth and the car is just better and better. tonight i will pull the rest of the glass out and clean up the window track. Then track down a new piece of glass
  10. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

[​IMG]
    first sunny az car show lots of attention
  11. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Loyal Comrade

welcome to the show ...

nice looking wheel(s) =0)
  12. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

yea it is a love hate with them, i now pull the caps for drives and put them on for shows cause i am sure i will lose one. almost did last drive
  13. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

[​IMG]
    just hanging out with a big plane and a passat built in the same city/factory a few years after my trabi
  14. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

so the last 2 weeks have been a bit crazy.
    Long story short craigslist got me again. need to stop my random searches
    So 2 weeks ago i found a p500 for sale in Los Angeles Ca
    some may re call this car http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/soon-to-be-mine-p50.1038/
    so 2 weeks ago i drove to La and look at the car, drove the car and quickly made a deal on the above car. The last owner was never on the forum but did a great job on the restore. Yes i know some things are not right. Overall it is a very nice car that i could not have built for the money. All the rust was fixed and they documented it with tons and tons of photos.

So last weekend I got a trailer and left Tucson to go get it
    drove 500 plus miles and had the car loaded in and all snug.
    Then drove to San Diego for the night. On Sunday the car got to spend a great day with some other euro cars at the Big socal euro event. (if your in the area during labor day go this is great free family event)
    Many had never seen a Trabant and for the few who had it was a dream for them to see it. The car had a great day in the sun I did not and got a nasty sunburn.
    Sunday we loaded up and the car made it home safe in the trailer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    some picts of the car at the show. I will snap more as i have time.
    Keri, Wartburg353W, BillB and 2 others like this.
  15. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Great pictures!
    Also the difference between car and this plane....
  16. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

Great find! Thats a very nice looking Trabi! It looks pretty well done from the pictures. The only thing is not original are the front signal lights and the white wall tires. There were no white wall tires in East Germany. Heck, they barely had normal tires... But thats off the point and now one knows it.... By the way you can buy new hubcaps for it from Hungary. You might want to find the "coat" for the engine shroud. But these are minor things.
    Congrats for your nice car!
    tricken likes this.
  17. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

Yea i may change things over time but for right now I just enjoy have 2 at the house
  18. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

[​IMG]
    last weekend. yea i got to park by the wall
    RogerDerSchrauber and michiel76 like this.
  19. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

http://www.ldm-tuning.de/artikel-7356.htm
  20. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

yep roger on my shopping cart along with some other stuff
    i really want a new front emblem for the p50