1. Trabant_Mike

Trabant_Mike Puttering Along

Hi everyone. My name is Mike and I'm a student teacher living in Canterbury. I've joined as I've wanted a Trabi for years and will begin to look for one for when I start my full time teaching job later this year. I'm thinking I will import one from Germany and drive it back, so I'll be looking for lots of advice!

Also I noticed a nice little Trabi in a village between Canterbury and Sandwich. If this is you, drop me a line and say hi!

2. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Hi Mike! Welcome to the boards.

Keep a look out in the UK too, they come up for sale every now and then. :)
  3. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Welcome Mike,
    More and more UK members are joining seems like. And I know we have some in Australia. Anybody in Canada? Are you from the UK or somewhere else? I ask because you wrote "living in Canterbury".
    Jeff
  4. Trabant_Mike

Hi Jeff and Justin, thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm actually from London originally Jeff, and have lived in a few different places. Including Spain for a while. But now I'm studying a post graduate course in Canterbury and starting a teaching job in September.

I do see them come up here, but it seems that people want ridiculous money for them at the moment! I'll keep my eye peeled though.
  5. hunterknox

hunterknox Premium Member Forum Donor

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.

Driving back from Germany's a great idea but be warned - it took me a few hundred miles to get used to the Trabi's controls!
  6. Trabant_Mike

That's the problem, I've never driven one before. Any ideas how I can try one out without tyre kicking one which is for sale?
  7. Andrew

Andrew Most Powerful Leader Moderator Forum Donor

There are plenty of places that have Trabant tours... Trabant Safari in Berlin, I think there is one in Leipzig, and Budapest etc... they are self drive and you get to go on a tour around the city, (considering this guys experiencing flying home via berlin was cheaper then a one-way UK train (sheffield to essex) ) it might be worth popping over to Berlin for the day to have a test drive, or ask around on here if anyone on the forums or the IFA UK mailing list is located near you and wants an excuse to take their Trabi for a drive. But really its not that hard, the gears are not that hard and once your on the autobahn your going to be leaving it in 4 at about 80-90kph for most of the way, just make sure you have a nice long music playlist and a speaker because its will be a bit of a long drive home...

Obviously Mobile.de and ebay.de are good places to start looking, I've also found that there has been some nice cars been listed on this Trabant facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/174075262621423/ might be worth making a post (even if its in english) and ask if anyone can give you some pointers or would be willing to give you a hand tracking down the right vehicle. Obviously finding a car with current TUV etc its going to be more expensive and does reduce the range of vehicles, but obviously you can't drive it back without the TUV....

Also make sure you have all the required documentation, its worth while making sure you have a couple of copies of the German and English copies of the ADAC sales contracts just in case, and I assume you need the full rego history, so GDR documents plus the German Federal documents.

And you may need to get export plates, (not sure of the exact requirements as I had mine shipped out of Germany.)
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  8. Trabant_Mike

Thank you so much for all of that! I'm actually off to Prague soon, so I'll try to book myself on the tour! I'll be sure to bare all of this in mind, and I'll hit the classifieds!
  9. czechnology

czechnology Smoking Along

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. Let´s meet in Prague, we could have same trabi talk! I live 10minutes from the PRG airport. I would recommend you to try to find a Trabi in Czech republic instead of Germany. Trabant in Germany became too kulty - the prices are reaching out to insanity. I know about couple of good pieces at decent prices, since I am in the local comunity. It is all depending of your requirements and budget. Drop me a note, I will be happy to help! :) You can also try to drive my two stroke Trabi, and absorb some hints.
    Andrew and Trabant_Mike like this.
  10. Andrew

11. Trabant_Mike

12. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

What's that brown stuff sprayed inside the fenders and around the hood hinges?
  13. czechnology

That is the original wax based compound used during the production. to protect the likely-to-rust areas. A pretty good proof that this car is in excellent shape.
  14. Martina Gregorcova

Martina Gregorcova Smoking Along

Hello Trabi Enthusiasts! Im new to this forum, but not new to Trabants :)!
    Mike you can easily purshase trabant in Czech Republic for a price of 15-30 000 CZK, but if you register the car in Czech republic, there is required one term ecological fee which you cover at the city hall when registering the car; 10 000 CZK plus you need new technical control, insurance and new evidence card. The whole purshase should come to max 50 000 CZK/2000 EUR, but you will have to spend some time researching, ideally purshase trabi with extra spare parts, many owners who are getting rid of Trabants will offer you the spare parts automatically! You can check out trabant tour options www.artofyourtravel.com ;)! We are currently working on 4 more trabants and special web site dedicated only to Prague Trabi Tours, will share it here when its done!
    Have a great one!
    Martina
    BillB likes this.
  15. Andrew

Hi Martina, welcome to the forum.

Are there export/transit plates in CZ? most EU countries seem to have them and they are usually they are a lot cheaper then standard registration? they last just long enough to drive the car back to your home country.

Cheers

A.
  16. czechnology

Generally, when a vehicle is being exported outside the Czech Republic it is necessary to register the new foreign owner.
    The prospective owner has to establish first a compulsory insurance for the vehicle. This insurence is mostly settled for 30 days.
    Subsequently, the current (previous) owner (or a person acting with power of attorney) needs to go to the DMV office where the vehicle is registered and apply for the export.
    For that, he needs complete paperwork of the vehicle, current license plates, and of course, the new owner's initials - I suggest to take a photocopy of his/her passport, identity card. The Office will input an entry into the registration certificate, issue a new temporary (export) registration plates (yellow stripe - valid for 30 days) The administrative fee is 800 CZK (about 30€)
    The ecological fee is not required when the vehicle is being exported - it would not make sense to register the car in CZ when the new owner is from abroad country.
    With the new paperwork and temporary plates, the new owner can legally drive away.
    Andrew likes this.
  17. Trabant_Mike

I've now made a deal on a UK based 1990 model. It's generally rust free and needs a bit of work to get through an MOT. Then comes the fun of registering it with no documents. Despite this, I'm like a kid in a candy store! I'll post pics up when I take delivery of it in the week.
    Andrew likes this.
  18. Martina Gregorcova

Hey Mike, thats awesome news! Cant wait for the pics! Keep the Trabi brand ticking! So great to meet such an enthusiast! ;) Blessings, Martina
    BillB and czechnology like this.
  19. Martina Gregorcova

czechnology thanks for the additional info, didnt know the eco fee doenst apply when beeing exported! cheers, M
    BillB and czechnology like this.
  20. Cold-War-Charlie

Cold-War-Charlie Von Trabi Forum Donor

I am in the UK and there is a thriving IFA club with UK vehicles for sale.