1. Gavin Johns

Gavin Johns Puttering Along

Hi , I’ve just picked up a Trabant and caravan , I’ve zero knowledge on it so am looking fwd to a steep learning curve
    BillB and turbokafer like this.
  2. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Forum Donor

Hello Gavin, welcome to our little forum.
    Lots of info here.
    Search through the threads and fined lots of good stuff.
    Please post some pics in our "garage"
  3. Gavin Johns

Thanks , I’ve already enjoyed reading the manuals and after my first drive I’m still recovering from the experiance
  4. trondd

trondd Loyal Comrade

Haha. I kind of had the same feeling. :D
  5. Gavin Johns

The classic line from National lampoons vacation to wallyworld comes to mind . As Clark Griswold veiws the family truckster , the salesman comments “ you think you hate it now , but wait till you drive it ! “ great fun though !
  6. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Loyal Comrade

any foto(s) of the latest addition(s) =)
  7. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Welcome to the forum. The first drive is always the worst. Every drive after that is great.

Andy.
  8. trondd

trondd Loyal Comrade

No...the drive where it kept stalling at idle, and the battery wouldn't restart it so I had to keep pulling over and jump it from a spare battery, then having the hood fly up into the windshield when putting home was the worst one. ...So far.
  9. Gavin Johns

My adventures have been tame , apart from getting fish and chips one evening and when I returned to the trabbi there was a lovely lake of fuel beneath it . Oh and of course the highly erratic brakes that make left turns a hands free affair . But the reaction from ppl is priceless ! Having previously driven an SL/R torana and an A9X torana this is so much more fun and so much less money :)
  10. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

Hello Gavin
  11. DaveinOz

DaveinOz Aussie Trabant Nutter Forum Donor

Hi Gavin, only just found out about you purchasing your Trabi from Andrew - feel free to message me if you have any questions about getting parts shipped to South Australia - I had owned the light blue wagon here in Adelaide before Andrew.
  12. Gavin Johns

Hi Dave , thanks . I understand you know of this car and it’s interesting history . I sorted a hub puller from Germany via e bay and google translator ( no I’m not in Austria ) and removed said hubs . Fortunately all cutch and brake could source wheel cyl cups so I’m back in biz . At some stage I will do the front wheel bearings etc . Are you still in Adelaide ?
  13. DaveinOz

DaveinOz Aussie Trabant Nutter Forum Donor

Hi Gavin, yes I'm in Clapham. Sent you a PM. Saw the photos of your car at Cars & Coffee Blackwood on Sunday! Looks great!
  14. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

Wow! Sorry to hear about that! If you're ever stuck, call me, I'll try and help.