1. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Othe...pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2edc657172&vxp=mtr

If anyone on here is bidding on this or thinking of bidding. Make sure they have proper paperwork as this is not a '73 model as stated. Headrests, PUR steering wheel and plastic doorhandles are some of the clues. Also the ad claims "no rust" but the pictures clearly show rust eating up the bottoms of the doors and it appears to be at least in the driver's footwell as well. I'd be worried about what's under the floor mat. I wouldn't normally snipe at somebody's ebay listing but this issue has come up before and we should look out for each other as members of this community. The buyer may well end up on here looking for help and wondering why his car is so messed up.
  2. Daniel P

Daniel P Premium Member Forum Donor

Things car is not far from me. It has been advertised online through a small dealership for $5,500 for at least six months.
    I actually sent them a friendly email a few months ago explaiNing that they didn't likely have a 1973, but I got no response.
    If anyone free far away wants anymore details, let me know.
    Justin likes this.
  3. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Nice of you to offer Daniel. I agree, car is likely not as is stated to be, but you know how that goes. Age is embellished some to make sure it meets standards.
  4. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

Good eye on the rust! I didn't see it the first time I looked at it.
  5. TNTrabi

TNTrabi Lord Trabi Forum Donor

I ran the vin number against the reference section list and it is a 1987 vin number. It has the EBZA ignition box on the inner fender and a dual circuit brake system both of which confirm that 1987 is correct. The bottoms of the doors are rusted, the passengers side is far worse. And there is no spare tire in the trunk. I would surely look at it in person before bidding blindly on it based on their pictures!
  6. Wartburg353W

Nice work determining the model year Jonathan!
  7. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Its so bizarre, I have been around so many different and unique motorcycle and car forums and groups..At least 25 of them. I have never seen one that has so many people trying to push junk at a premium price as I see with trabants. Really bizarre and wonder where it comes from.

Looks like it sold for $3600. I think that's a fair price. Big drop from the initial $5500
  8. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

I don't know whether or not the car was junk, but I think it's unique and here in limited numbers. That makes people think they can ask a premium without knowing the market....Obviously we know the market.

I think those who have one, don't know about other Trabi owners, etc, don't have anything to compare it to when they list it.
  9. Wartburg353W

Not knowing the market doesn't excuse claiming a rusted car "has absolutely no rust". Besides, that was a dealer. I bet they knew very well what they have sold for, and that's why they happily bailed out at 3600. Also there's the matter of the incorrect model year. Which comes up over and over again, as Aaron says. Making me suspicious that the seller is really that ignorant. And finally, I stand by my original point that this forum is a perfect tool for this sort issue- making the buyer better informed. Now, whether a Trabant that needs welding work is worth 3500 is a matter of personal opinion. I personally don't think they are rare enough to be worth that much in that shape. Curious to see whether the buyer joins the forum.
    Justin likes this.
  10. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Well there are a lot of good points in that statement that are hard to argue :)
  11. Daniel P

Daniel P Premium Member Forum Donor

I think what is interesting is that there were 4 bidders on this car. I didn't realize earlier that the starting price, though, was only $2000. Not sure if there was a reserve price.
    seems like at least the buyer got it at market rate.
    I hope he is not disappointed to find out that it is 14 years newer.
    if it was a PA buyer, it doesn't make much of a difference. However, if they are registering it in some other states it could be beneficial to have it seem older.
  12. Aaron

Aaron Leader

It may technically be newer, but if the title says its older (as it probably does, why its advertised that way) hopefully they will be ok
  13. Ok so we bought it. I spotted it and asked the boss if he liked it and he bid on it before I could research it further and find your posts. We haven't gotten it home yet do to some glitches in the shipping. We'll see when it gets here. We are adding to our collection as a conversation piece which I am sure it will be. We are near Portland, Oregon so it's got a ride ahead of it. Looking forward to seeing what we got. He says it is titled in PA so we will just change to Oregon Special interest vehicle.
  14. Just a newbie question. If the car is made of this cotton plastic material, how do the doors rust? Are they steel?
  15. Aaron

Aaron Leader

The underbody and the lower portion under the trunk is steel....so is the portion along the side of the windshield and the grill.

Most of it underneath is really straightforward to replace and just about any welder can do it...If the portion around the license plate is rusted out you can buy replacements for dirt cheap to have welded in as a replacement. These cars do rust, but luckily for us most all of them are repairable much easier than the typical American old car...

If it runs good you got a fair deal I think at $3500. Not a lot of competitive options in the American market lol
  16. Wartburg353W

It's a steel unit-body with resin fiber exterior panels. The floors, rockers, and door frames are as prone to rust as any old car, dare I say even more so.
  17. Great that explains it. Looks like the bottom of the door has enough rust to take off the paint. I hope I can clean it up and save it.
  18. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

They make replacement panels that can be cut and welded in if not. :)
  19. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

Great! Portland Oregon is relatively close to me in Burley idaho. Good to have Trabis here in the west.
  20. Well we got it home. Rust is there but not terrible. If I was going to repaint (which I am not) a little sanding treating and bondo would fix it.
    Anyway, the guy lowers it off the roll bed in front of my shop. I check it over and he leaves. I notice it is dripping gas from an overflow tube on the carb. I got in and tried the starter. It started and ran immediately. It ran for about 5 minutes. About the time I tried to drive it the engine died. It would not restart. I found a knob that appears to be a fuel shut off under the dash. I turn to the left and the drip seemed to stop. I also found the choke button. It would not restart. I turned the knob back to the right and the drip came back. Turned knob back to the left and. let it sit about a week now. Today I looked at it again. I looked in the fuel tank and see the gas it about 1/4 in below the top of the fuel tube. So it's out of gas. The question is do I use the same mix as the other 2 cycle engines I have (like the Stihl weed eater)? I hope that is all that it wrong.