1. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

my trabant is on the road at last starts first time and drives grate and ticks over now we are getting their how ever if I stop to go shopping and get back in the car I will not start with the key I have to bump start it or wait until the engine is cold any ider's
  2. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

Hmm, so you mean it will not crank after warm and sitting? Or crank but not fire off? If it doesn't crank, the starter solenoid, and or brushes may be sticking( a gentle tap can help). Maybe it could be a bad connection, ground etc? Maybe the battery is letting go, when it gets warm?
  3. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

she turns over fine but will not fire i have to bump start it or change the plug's for cold ones
  4. A Spooky Ghost

Alright, have you checked the point gap, and timing? Could be not advanced enough. Could very well be the carb is flooding the engine when warm(the float is not shutting the gas off all of the way). Then when it is warm, it soaks the plugs.

Not to mention it is 6V, so when you crank it, the spark must be a bit weak(mis adjusted point gap, timing would do this). That may be why you need to bump it...
  5. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

could it be a bad condenser cause a weak spark?
  6. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Yes it could be a bad condenser. Change them anyway because they are cheap enough. Also could be one or both of the coils. They might run fine at first from cold but if they are breaking down through age, your symptoms are classic. mine did the same after a good run, one would start to misfire then wouldn't run at all till the engine was cold. Take the car for a good run and then stop and then try to start it. If no joy, check at the plugs for a spark with them out. If no spark then it's plugs, bad HT leads, coils, condensers, or points/electronic ignition, or bad LT wiring/spade connector connector from the points. Check all these and if they are sound, it's a fuel problem.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    barrie likes this.
  7. A Spooky Ghost

Without a capacitor tester, the only good way to check a condenser is to look for spark. Lastly you can use a multi-meter(ohms meter) if you have one. There should be no connection between the case, and the center of the capacitor.

All that tells you is it isn't shorted out when cold.. So in other words.... Replace the condensers.

Also I've had the exact symptoms from a bad coil too. Old electronics can go screwy with heat..
  8. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

I have looked under the hood today and saw the leather jacket on the block had lifted up on was directing heat onto the fuel line guess that was not helping think I am going to invest in coil plugs condensers and keep spear in the boot

A Spooky Ghost
    can you explain how to check with multi meter I have 1 and it has ohms on it would I be right it thinking I put live on condenser and ground on the back plate?
  9. A Spooky Ghost

Yes either test lead will work. Set the meter on the lowest OHM setting, if the display-and or needle does not move, keep checking on the rest of the higher settings. If any of these show a connection- it is bad. If it is still on the car, you will need to open up the points, and possibly remove the wire/ metal strap from it.

With all of that said, either way just replace the condensers. Your problem has to do with something getting warm. How about run it for a while, until you can restart it, then look for the spark quality at the plugs?

Blue is what you want....
  10. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

thanks spooky ghost grate help I will keep all updated
  11. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

I was having a think about fuel getting to hot and turning in to vapour in the line how about adding a boat fuel bulb to add pressure to the system [​IMG]
  12. A Spooky Ghost

On these cars, there is simply no need for this. If your tank cap has a open vent hole, and the fuel is flowing fine. The boat bulb will only cause issues.

I've had my 601 out on many 100` F. days. It NEVER has any signs of vapor lock.... To be fair, the later cars have a extra return vent on top of the gas tank...

It lets what ever vapor in the line, go back into the top of the tank.
  13. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

IMG_20190303_125952.jpg broken pipe and cracked pipe