1. Gromyko

Gromyko Newbie

Hey,

I've always seen different kinds of media both about the 601 and the 1.1, and I understand that the 1.1 generally has a better 4 stroke engine, a 12V electrical system, etc. but I can't seem to find too much on how it's performance actually compares to a 601.

I understand that the performance of a Trabi primarily relies on how it's been maintained and it's upkeep, but how does a 1.1 generally perform and how does it's build quality (say interior dashboard etc.) compare to a 601?

Do you find it generally easier to handle / drive? How do you feel about the controls inside, such as the gearbox, lights etc. compare to a 601? Are there any improvements / changes that you feel that are particularly noteworthy besides the engine?

Thanks,
  2. TheHun

TheHun Puttering Along Forum Donor

Interesting dilemma, the 1.1 was an old VW engine at the time, it would likely be a bit better performance but IMHO the 1.1 is not a real trabant, it is more of a last hurray...late 1980s 601s deluxe is the one to have...
  3. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

It's not just the engine the 1.1 also had a different gearbox ,completely different suspension and front disc brakes From wiki top speed was 125km rather than 100 km for the earlier two stroke https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant_1.1
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
  4. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Forum Donor

I'm sure people will argue, but my .02, without a two stroke, it ain't a Trabant.
    The 1.1 has the Sachsenring logo on the bonnet, but it's just not a Trabi.
    YMMV
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  5. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

I agree with the others, the magic of the Trabant is the two stroke engine. I love showing up for church reeking of 2 stroke smoke. I wear the smell with pride.
    BillB and RogerDerSchrauber like this.
  6. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

Would be nice to have one, just to say I have one, but I do prefer the 2 stroke, myself. I'd get an original K├╝bel before I got a 1,1.
    BillB likes this.