1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. scarrabri

scarrabri Loyal Comrade

Hi I know this is another stupid question ,but with the back seat laid down and the front seats pushed forward is there enough room for a 5 feet 6inches person to sleep in it ,Brian
  2. Trabant_Mike

Trabant_Mike Puttering Along

I wouldn't think so. I almost had a combi and the space wasn't bad in the back (compared to the saloon), but certainly not enough to sleep in. You could certainly try, but it won't be too comfortable.
    scarrabri likes this.
  3. scarrabri

scarrabri Loyal Comrade

Hi Mike , i have never seen a Trabant in real time but they look quite large on all the photos i have seen, so it looks like you could be right and i am in for a surprise ,best wishes Brian.
  4. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

True. The Trabant is not designed as a sleeper van, BUT I just put an air conditioner in our garage, and was testing it. I pushed the driver seat back in the Kombi, and lay down and waited for the cool to kick in. I woke up later and found it was now evening. I must say, I felt refreshed! The Trabi was actually comfortable to nap in...
    Keri and scarrabri like this.
  5. scarrabri

scarrabri Loyal Comrade

Hi, thanks for your reply, i ask the question because i was thinking if i went away in the trabi with my mediun size awning and took my small mattress with me ,could i set up a bed in the trabi for me and my two cats ,and use the awning just for cooking and sitting in, best wishes Brian.
  6. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

At foxfield meeting one year a german guy slept in his kombi I seem to recall and he had been touring all over Ireland and UK in it
    scarrabri likes this.
  7. Steve H

Steve H Loyal Comrade

Oh boy, you're in for a surprise! I still think you're absolutely insane for spending a serious amount of cash (for a Trabi) on a car having never even seen one up close. I've said it before, but they really are awful heaps of crap - I love mine for this, but I only potter around once every couple of weeks in it. As a sole form of transport, I think you're mad.
    scarrabri likes this.
  8. scarrabri

scarrabri Loyal Comrade

Hi mbeamish,,
    Now how cool is that and good for him , nice one mbeamish. best wishes Brian.
  9. scarrabri

scarrabri Loyal Comrade

Hi Steve , my offer has gone in for the combi and I nervously wait for a reply and you arnt helping with your [awful heaps of crap} lol I know whats up with you ,you don't want me to have it so that you can rush in and steal it from right under my nose, and who can blame you,
    well its like mbeamish wrote At foxfield meeting one year a german guy slept in his kombi I seem to recall and he had been touring all over Ireland and UK in it, now was he mad? ,thanks for writing in and very best wishes Brian.
  10. DaveinOz

DaveinOz Aussie Trabant Nutter Forum Donor

Hi Brian, I did a quick calculation based on a cross section drawing I had and from the back of the front seats to the tailgate is approx. 1450mm (or 4 foot 9) - with the front seat fully forward you would be looking at maybe 1.5m (just under 5 foot). In the rear. Size wize a Trabi is roughly the same size as a classic Mini, but 500mm (1ft 8in) longer - and almost all that extra length is in the front - so the space in the rear would be much the same as a classic mini van.

If you are looking to travel in one, here are a few suggestions:

- If you find a way to remove the front passenger seat you could sleep with your head or feet where the front seat was - you'd need to make up a small platform or cushion etc so that it's at the same level as the seats folded down.
    - You could make up a small tent/annexe that hangs down with the tailgate open and then stick your feet out the back - again you'd need a small platform so that your feet are level.
    [​IMG]

One other possibility is a lightweight caravan - would be a cool period accessory and then you wouldn't have to unload all your gear when you want to go to sleep!
    [​IMG]

Or, a rooftop tent! These were a legit accessory - they used one in the Trabi in "Go Trabi Go!"
    [​IMG]

Good luck with the search. At least you're not 6'4" or taller....
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  11. scarrabri

scarrabri Loyal Comrade

Hi Dave super photos and many ideas for myself as i am only 5 feet .5ins but i dont half fancy that caravan,but do you really think a standard Trabant would tow one ok ? because that would be luxury ,

I have seen the roof top tents and they look inviting especialy when i saw the Go Trabi Go film which i have to say is totally awesome and makes the humble Trabi a real star when it survives the non stop battering it took along its journey and comes out still running lol,

I do have a fair size awning that would go well with trabi for longer stay camping but i would not like to put that up every night, so that was why i was looking at the size of the Trabi so has to shoot off some where be able to sleep in the trabi with my two cats who are lead trained and quite honestly would sleep any where there were a good meal,

Really big thanks my friend and super ideas and awesome pics, very best wishes Brian.
    ps what make is that Caravan?
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  12. DaveinOz

DaveinOz Aussie Trabant Nutter Forum Donor

I just googled trabant caravan, not sure what make it is. I've seen plenty of Trabis with towbars fitted, as for towing you would want something fairly light, maybe even a camper-trailer? Wouldn't want to be towing much more than a few hundred kilos with it.
    scarrabri likes this.
  13. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

A bit of caution: I know there are some folks who own light caravans such as Qeks and the like, but seriously, Trabants are not cars that should tow or carry lots of weight or loads that throw the geometry of the car off. For example, trying to put the brakes on with a 300 kg load (Qek caravan) behind it, going down a steep hill will make one get religion real quick! :)

If you get a Trabant, look for one that has never had a trailer hitch/towbar on it, since it's a good indicator it's been beat on. A lot. A little trailer? Might be OK, but too often people used them to move house or old junk, esp. in the 1990s, when Trabis were considered disposable cars.

Try and find one that's been babied and well cared for. If you do the same, it will take care of you. They are very durable, reliable cars, but remember, people converted them into all manner of towing and carrying vehicles in the GDR because that was all they had.
    scarrabri likes this.
  14. scarrabri

scarrabri Loyal Comrade

Thanks ever so much for all the useful advice i really appreciate it and makes for interesting reading, i am still looking for a Trabant ,but i am hoping i could finance it with the sale of my Romahome which i have put in the hands of a classic car firm because they have the Trabant that i am after so i am hoping a deal can be struck ,but it seems to be dragging on a little, any way thanks again very best wishes Brian.
  15. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

16. Keri

Keri Leader

How much space is in a Trabant Kombi / Universal?

Far more that the exterior dimensions indicate. Trabant Kombi served as a test platform for secret Soviet dimensional warping technology, while the Limosine , or Standard Trabants were given the task of saving the world from the thousand year old Ancient Mayan plot* to destroy the world.

In fact, the insides are quite a lot larger than the outsides, a phenomenon that inspired the Dr. Who television show.

* search "Trabants have saved the World!" for details...
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  17. Jasper a.s.

Jasper a.s. Newbie

I can sleep in my combi , and I am 6.3 ft .
    You have to take the front seats out (can be done without tools ) and turn them around .
    I have the old seat mounting , dont know if it can be done with the newer type.
    but as I said you can sleep in it.
    It's not super comfortable, but it's good enough for a one night ;)

Attached Files:

Caleb and Keri like this.
  18. Zausel

Zausel Genosse Forum Donor

If you are going just you and some cats, what I'd do is take out the passenger seat and the rear bench and keep them home. Then, using some lumber for risers, and plywood for the bed, make a flat spot from the bench where the floorpan dips down all the way to the front of the car, sort of an L shape, and then through a mat and a sleeping bag on it. Good to go.