1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

Hi
    I just wanted to say how much I love these little cars, they really do make me smile so much. I love the sound of that little engine, I love the noise it makes and I love the little quirks. I love how they bob along the road in a happy go lucky way and I love the noise the little horn makes. I love the colour of my car, Capri Green, which also makes me smile. I just love them to bits, I really do.

Recently we found a couple of films on Amazon Prime which were about a group of people driving across Africa and South America in Trabis and I loved them. It made me so happy to see the little cars forging a path where many others would fail. I really enjoyed the films and I hope the little cars in them are still alive and waiting for their next adventure.

I'm not a naturally happy person and I spend a lot of my life in a bad mood. I have mild depression and I spend long periods of time royally pissed off. But whenever I see a Trabant or hear that unmistakable sound the engine makes I smile. I'm happiest when I'm tinkering with my cars and I'm really loving working on my Trabant, I look forward to the day I get to drive this little car properly on the road.

Please feel free to share your love for Trabi's below. :)
  2. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

I agree. It is hard to drive a Trabi without smiling. It is also hard not to smile when seen a Teabi drive by. It is a smile on wheels.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  3. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Make me and other people smile when i am out in mine. I think it is brilliant. Just watching James May peoples cars in TV and he said the Trabant was crap. Its certainly not crap. Even with all the welding and other repairs that had to be done to make it safe and reliable, i still think its great.

Andy.
  4. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

I don’t let TV stars determine my life. These people are paid to entertain by appealing to the lowest common denominator. I drive my Trabant and enjoy every minute of it, everywhere I go. Even fueling up is a public event, which attracts the curious. This weekend I’m taking it to an event on Boston Common where it will be among Duesenbergs, Rolls-Royces and Lamborghinis. The Trabi always makes people happy, wherever it goes.
  5. Bill

Bill Smoking Along

I think Trabants have been the victim of a lot of negative western propaganda. I believe they are perfectly suited to their intended purpose.
    I have been without a Trabant for a few years now. I loved my previous cars when I had them and I'm looking forward to getting my present car running again. You are right Iron Jaw, there is something about them that just makes you happy. For me the worst part is waiting for packages to arrive from Germany! No matter how carefully I try and plan what I need, I keep finding new things that I need to get. (Or I break something while working on it)
  6. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

I think they are well designed and engineered to be honest, and my 1985 model has got excellent specification which is better than a lot of small western cars of the same year. They're often misbranded as "cardboard cars from Russia", or "those Russian things" but if you look at the VW Polo from 85 it's not got the spec of my Trabi. I love them to bits and when people are negative about them, I don't get angry or upset, I just smile because they're ignorant and don't know how good they actually are.

I know in 1989/90 there were an awful lot of them abandoned and thrown away, but I can see why. They'd spent 50 years living with one type of car and seeing things like the Audi Quattro, Golf GTi and Mercedes 190 must've blown their mind. I work for BMW and after spending all day dealing with them the last thing I want to do is drive one home, so I'm happy to jump in my Jag and go home. I'll be happier jumping in my Trabi though!!! :D
  7. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Yes, smiles and looks of disbelief and correcting the myths of cardboard, plastic and papier mache are part of everyday ownership of Trabbis.