3. Everyone at the cruise in night thinks my Trabi is a Daf

20.0%
  4. I have six of them rotting in my back yard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

anybody ever heard of the DAf Daffodil?
    Apparently it's about the same size as our Trabi cars. It was made in holland.
    2 cylinder, 30 hp but it needs 4 strokes to accomplish what the Trabi does in two.
    The transmissions are variable belt drive. I think I had a lawn mower that was run that way once. And yes you read that right... Transmissions plural, one for each wheel.

There's one for sale on you guessed it... eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/28172250800...t%3D711-53200-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D851537150103
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  2. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Add: I once ran one over with a tractor to get rid of it.
    Heard that about a wartburg once... :D
    Keri likes this.
  3. Bill Overbaugh

Lol thanks mati
  4. 1983JZR3W

1983JZR3W Puttering Along

Seems a bit high priced in my opinion, for it's condition.
  5. radioman

radioman Premium Member Forum Donor

Did that car not become the DAF 66
  6. DaveinOz

DaveinOz Aussie Trabant Nutter Forum Donor

Always interesting to find out about a car you've never heard of before! From a distance you'd be forgiven for mistaking it for a P50 trabant - especially from the sides/rear.

My dad used to have a Mitsubishi 'Silver Pigeon' motor scooter that had a similar type of variable belt drive arrangement - simple but effective.

Anyway, looks like no one was keen on forking out $5k for the daffodil. Despite the rarity factor I think they will struggle to find anyone keen at that price, especially with the sill rust.

As for the 'Trabi of the west' - I can't think of any western two stroke cars that came anywhere near the production figures of the trabi - I reckon the closest any western manufacturer got was the Citroen 2CV - a 2cyl air cooled front engine, independent suspension and a very lightweight and basic (read flimsy) body structure and with very few changes over its 42 year production run.
  7. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

We have a Trabant of the west here in the United States. It's called a Jeep Wrangler!

I had a 1994 model and if I had to compare a car to the Trabant as far as road noise, power, amenities, changes, etc. it would be the Jeep Wrangler.

Mine had a guttless 120 hp 4 cylinder based on a 6 cylinder made by American motors from the early 1970s except with fuel injection and a Peugeot 5 speed transmission. It was a carry model over from when Renault owned American motors then Chyrsler bought out AMC in 1987 to get the Jeep name and retooled the North American factories from Renaults to Chyrslers.

At the time they were the cheapest 4X4 you could buy at $13,000 but the new ones are close to $40,000. I'd never thought I'd see the day a Jeep would cost that much. But the new ones seem to be nicer and have more options than mine had.

Mine didn't even come with a radio much less A/C or intermittant wipers. It did have carpet but no sound deadening material.
  8. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Well there were several 2-stroke cars in the west around in the late 50s. See Mark Telford, Two-Stroke Cars of the Past. DKW for example.
  9. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Lloyd_LP400S_1955.jpg Id have to say I think I saw the West German model Trabi engineers used this past weekend. I was at a car show, there was me with my 601, Bob Housekamp with his P50..And in comes driving a 1958 Lloyd. Made in West Germany...It too had a 4 stroke engine. It had the under hood fuel tank, similar petcock system, same suspension, etc. Parked next to Bob's P50 they looked almost identical, it was truly bizarre as I have never seen one. I was too distracted and didn't get a picture..Here's a google one I searched for. People were confused at the show as they thought the Lloyd was a newer version of Bob's P50...The P50 being 5 years newer got them all confused haha
  10. Bill Overbaugh

That's really interesting. Lloyd is one of the names people call out when they're guessing what my Trabi is.
    Keri likes this.
  11. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I was at a VW car show with my Trabant and met a guy who said that back in the 1960s someone had brought in a car called a Lloyd to repair (I think he was a VW mechanic).

When I got home and looked the car up but didn't come up with much. Maybe I was using the incorrect spelling "Loyd".
  12. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Let's not forget the Saab 96 was probably the most well-known 2-stroke car in the west.
    Keri likes this.
  13. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

This gallery might be of interest :)

People here in Norway seem to confuse the Fiat 1100 from the early 60's with my Trabant. I had one lady come up to me as I was getting into my Trabant and she said to me that her parents had "one of those cars" when she was little but with four doors.

[​IMG]
    Keri likes this.
  14. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

That would be the DAF 44 that eventually turned into the DAF/Volvo 66.
  15. EasternBloc

EasternBloc Interkosmos Trabinaut Forum Donor

I kept seeing those cars zipping around in Cuba and thought the front end was awfully Trabantish. Finally saw this one parked, but it was stripped of all emblems and partially cloaked. Thanks for solving the mystery for me! rsz_photo_jul_15_3_24_12_pm.jpg