1. Ftailefer

Ftailefer Newbie

2. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

Ok, #1 is the points and condensers, which if you have a Newer car(with a black box on the fender-near the coils-means you DO NOT have #1). You have electronic ignition called EBZA-part of this is the top right picture...

If no black box, you have #1. You will need to clean the points, a little file, or piece of sand paper will work fine.

#2 This may be 12v+ when the key is turned on(not certain).

#3 Looks to be the Ignition/Key switch.

So if you have that little black box on the fender, try checking for ground near coils(clean some terminals). Also you could peek inside the round cover(beside the passenger wheel) and look to make certain there is a ignition of some type, and how the wires are.

With a volt meter, and key on check for 12v at terminal 15 on the coils, and ground.(this means you have power.) Try checking the fuses... See if the lights, wiper, horn work.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  3. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

I think #2 must be ground; wouldn't power come through the ignition switch (#3) ? It's gonna be confusing until you figure out whether you have electronic ignition or points.
  4. A Spooky Ghost

I think #2 is hot, since it connects to terminal 15, which is key on +. I might be wrong on this.
  5. Ftailefer

Ftailefer Newbie

Thank you very much. I do have a EBZA so that helps. I was confused as I could not find those wires or where that was going. I will give it a shot and let you know the results. Looking forward to getting it running even though won’t be driving it for 2-3 months at best.
  6. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

check and clean the earths onto the coils
  7. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

also dont leave the ignition on for very long when the engines not running as it can damage the ebza
  8. Ftailefer

Ftailefer Newbie

HI Guys, Got her sarted, thanks alot for the advice. Much appreciated these forums are a big help.
  9. A Spooky Ghost

Glad to hear it. So what was the issue?
  10. Ftailefer

Ftailefer Newbie

Well I had the wiring wring on the coils, so you helped me get that straight. In the end needed a new igniter board. Its running but a lot of misfires. But step one done.
  11. A Spooky Ghost

Might be a good time to check that pickup on the engine, see if it is tight, or does it wobble in some odd way. If loose, it will run very screwy...