1. paulymx

paulymx Leader

[​IMG]
    A photo from an IWL Rollertreffen in Germany showing the whole IWL scooter range. Starting from left to right is the Pitty, the Wiesel, the Berlin, and the Troll.

IWL commenced building scooters in 1955 with the Pitty, which was a nickname based on the diminutive form of Peter.
    The Pitty's most notable feature was its enormous nose. It was powered by a DKW125cc two stroke engine - the same engine that powered the world famous DKW RT125 and the BSA Bantam. The engine was supplied by MZ (Motorrad Zschopau) who also built their own motorcycles and supplied engines to a range of DDR vehicles.
    Unfortunately the engine wasn't sufficiently powerful for a beast the size of the Pitty. In 1958 IWL revised the Pitty, dropping the big nose and renaming it the Wiesel (Weasel).
    In 1959 the engine was upgraded to 143cc and the body restyled and lengthened. This was released as the Berlin and it became IWLs best selling scooter, selling over 113,000 units. In 1963 IWL updated the styling and increased the size of the scooter with the Troll. Its styling was similar to that of the MZ 150cc motorcycle, with which it shared a lot of parts. In 1965 IWL stopped all scooter manufacture in favour of MZ motorcyles.

For more info here is a link - http://heinkelscooter.blogspot.com/2008/05/iwl-history.html

Here is a video of an IWL Rollertreffen which starts off at the East German Motorcycle Museum in Berlin.
    http://youtu.be/EXrsAFlEiL8
  2. JFB

JFB Puttering Along

I own a IWL Troll 150 from 1963, original unrestored but running. :)
    I plan to be at the next rally in Ludwigfelde in 2014!
    Here's a video that we did, as I was riding this bike..
  3. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

What's the top speed of that thing? It looks like it keeps up quite well with traffic.
  4. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

I'll bet JFB Would know :)
  5. JFB

JFB Puttering Along

It's not bad at all, if I compare with a Vespa, it has lot of torque, the top speed is about 65 mi/h, but the acceleration is good enough to follow the traffic. The only problem is the transmission, there's a huge step between the first and the second gear, I guess it's related to the origin of the motor, made for a motorcycle with large wheels. You have to rev the first a lot if you want to barely catch up the power and torque on the second gear!
    Very fun bike to drive and it is very comfortable!
    Justin likes this.
  6. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

When turbofiat124 asked that question, I thought you would know.
  7. JFB

JFB Puttering Along

How much you bet with turbofiat114 on that? ;-)
    Justin likes this.
  8. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Haha, I should have put a wager on it
    JFB likes this.
  9. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

My Tomos 49cc bike seems to go from 0 to 30 mph on flat land in 5 seconds but tops out at that point. It will make it up just about any hill but at a snail's pace.