1. Penfold

Penfold Newbie

Hi all,

My trabi passed its recent MoT (UK vehicle inspection), but got an advisory on wear in the king pin on one side. I’ve sourced a refurb kit from Germany and want to order it before Brexit arrives with the ensuing chaos if it ever does!

I’ve not touched a king pin before so was wondering if anyone has any advice and whether I should get any specific tools for the job.

Whilst I’m working in this area are there any other tasks that I should look at? Again, I’m thinking of ordering those parts before it becomes painful!

Thanks all in advance,
    Penfold
  2. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

Hi, these cars use press in hard plastic-ish bushings. So after they are taken out,and new ones pressed in, you will need to ream them to size. I used a adjustable reamer, and made the hole to where the pins fit snug, but just can turn with NO side play.

Have a look at the factory english service manual- Page 53. Talks about a reamer size-20mm.

Since your in there, it would be a good time to check the axle boots, and grease the leaves of the spring pack(use something to gently lift each leaf up-and squirt some grease in there). Also maybe grease the rack(grease gun fitting in middle). Same goes for greasing everything else.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  3. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

As well as an adjustable reamer order a good selection of shims ( very cheap) you want to set it up so there is just a fraction of up and down play just enough so kingpin doesn't bind when steering is turned . The upper joint is easy the lower kingpin is held in with a locking pin which can be very hard to remove so order a new locking pin as well
  4. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

Clean everything around the cone-notch pin and look at it carefully. The side where the 3 notches are visible is the thicker side of the pin. That means you have to hammer it out from the other side where the pin is normally a bit deeper in the axle body. Use a nearly 8mm wide punch-pin and a heavy hammer (>2000g) to expel it.
  5. Penfold

Penfold Newbie

Thank you all.

For anyone finding this in future and are now looking for the manual it was originally posted by turbofiat (I think) here- https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzr18f610ysk5o9/Full Manual-edit_ver.pdf?dl=0

With regards to the locking pin, I assume it is the cone (tapered) notch pin phi is referring too or is it a cotter pin? I’m struggling to find a replacement pin on any of the usual websites.

Another question, with regards to the shims, just some sheet/plate or specific shims (used to thinking in terms of motorcycle valve adjustment!)?

Thanks again
  6. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

7. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

8. Penfold

Penfold Newbie

Its amazing how you can look at a website and completely miss a whole section, even using their search function, thank you for that mbeamish.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I’ve ordered too much as usual umder the false economy of saving on shipping fees and crucially beating the confusion that may or may not come with the current political climate.

I’ll let you know when I get stuck!

Thanks,
    Penfold
  9. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

My adjustable reamer was only a tenner off ebay ,new but stamped made in Czechoslovakia so very old stock . By far the hardest part of job is removing that tapered pin
  10. Buckeye601

Buckeye601 Puttering Along

phi:

Thanks so much for the link to that document. That is a wonderful resource for seeing what parts are involved and how things fit together. I am definitely saving this for future reference.
  11. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

The day I bought my first Trabi online. I printed out this parts book, along with the factory service manual. Looked them both over, and over many times. Before ever touching a cotton twilled car! :cool:
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  12. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

And once you’ve got the king pins put in, make sure you keep them well-greased, and regularly, every three months or 3,000 km, whichever comes first. Obviously, former owners did not do this. Keep them greased and they will last forever.