1. A few weeks ago I had a new fly wheel fitted by a local garage. They then bled the brakes, but since then the rear wheels have been leaking brake fluid. Each morning when I wake up there is a pool by each rear wheel. I have tried tightening the teat that is used for bleeding the air out, but it hasn't helped.

Does anyone have any trouble shooting suggestion for brake fluid leaks.

Pics below:

Attached Files:

trabant601 likes this.
  2. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

Might need to replace the brake cylinders, if you haven't already. Mine were leaking, and that did it for me.
    trabant601 and Tempelhof Trabi like this.
  3. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

A random guess is that, a metal pipe cracked near the fitting, and or your wheel cylinder seals busted/ tore from the efforts of bleeding the brakes... This happens more often than you think!

Take it easy on the bleed nipple, I shattered a new cylinder- after barely tightening it. Might have been a bad casting- but either way, please be gentle.

Whenever you get inside the wheel, the cylinder bores should be smooth, and with no rust/pits. Might be easier to get new ones. The hardest part is getting the big nut off of the rear wheel hubs. Just really tight. Crack it lose with the wheel on the ground.
  4. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

I can't tell from the pictures but you have to trace the leak. Either it is leaking down the back of the wheel backing plate from the line or bleeder, or it is leaking from the cylinder cups inside the drum and running down inside the drum and out the wheel rim. Where exactly is it leaking from?
  5. A Spooky Ghost

Might take a look at the rear hoses/ connections too. They are at a odd angle, and could dripping....
  6. I've got the puller, I've removed the hub and I have no idea what I am looking at!

Can I clean him up and see what happends? Or should they all be replaced?

Attached Files:

trabant601 likes this.
  7. A Spooky Ghost

I can't really tell condition from the picture, but it looks kinda nasty. Usually where ever clumps of crap collect, this has been a wet spot. You could take it all apart, and look in the wheel cylinder bore. If it is smooth, and not pitted-then a seal kit is a easy fix.

The black rubber things you see, touching the brake shoes are simply guides. The actual fluid seal is behind these. Normally it is a good idea too replace all brake stuff equally on one end( front, or back). When you fix just one wheel, it has a nasty habit of making a wheel pull funny somewhere else.

To keep it simple, new wheel cylinders, and maybe hoses could be a good idea. I would bet the fluid is a nice brown, rust color too...
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    trabant601 likes this.
  8. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

new shoes too . The old ones will be contaminated with fluid . At least parts are cheap so i would fit new cylinders both sides and a new set of shoes . Clean any old fluid off drums with thinners or brake cleaner
    trabant601 likes this.
  9. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I agree with the notion that the line cracked at the first bend. If those are tough to get off the trick is to hold the nut and spin the cylinder. I was motivated to do work on 3 Trabant's brakes this summer, albeit with much help. On the third one I had to do most of it myself. This trick helped me. This winter I'll do a forth Trabant all the way around on my own. Did you find the leaks? btw. I was using DOT 3 and was scolded. DOT 4 makes enough difference to switch if you are completely bleeding.