1. Zausel

Zausel Genosse Forum Donor

I want to replace my blinker bulbs with LEDs but obviously the wattage is different. Anyone have experience with this and what kind of load resistors did you use? Not sure off hand what the LED wattage is but if I remember correctly on the blinker relay and bulbs it is 21w.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan and Zausel
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I don't know if this is what you are asking but as you know LEDs pull much less than a standard incandescent bulb so that's not a concern. The problem is the opposite. When LED lights are used for turn signal applications in order for a flasher module to function, it has to draw a certain amount of current. I was testing a flasher module and using an LED test lamp and could not get it to flash until I connected an incandescent bulb to it.

But I have seen some device you can place in line with the flasher unit to pull more load so that the flasher module works.

I personally have not been too happy with LED replacement bulbs. I tried some of those "festoon" style in my Fiats. Because of the voltage drop (poor grounds, etc) they either work or they don't. It seems the need at least 12 volts before they work. Such as 11.6 volts won't power an LED.

Where as with an incandescent bulb, if it has a poor ground, it works but burns dimmer.

Wednesday I was trying to installed one of the HID lighting low beam kits on my 98 Chevy van. I couldn't get either side to work!
  3. Zausel

I suppose I'll get some load resistors at Walmart and try it out.
  4. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

Biltema sell load resistors for this purpose. Maybe the place you are planning on buying the LED bulbs from sells the resistors too?
  5. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

6 v LED bulbs need less, there is a company in the UK selling a range of 6 v LED bulbs. Most LED bulbs I have looked at are quoted as needing 9-12 volts and LED light units (for trailers) are usually quoted as 10-30v. So it seems that LEDs are quite tolerant to voltage drop. I powered up a 12 v LED DRL from the Trabant's 6v battery a while back. Only 2 of the 5 LEDs light up but at full brightness.

Aren't Fiats known for having unreliable electrical systems? ;)
  6. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

If you simply put in leds they won't flash properly . You can solder in resistors but an alternative is to fit a new flasher unit that will work with any wattage bulbs . The cheap led bulbs you get off ebay etc are shite ,they don't last and not very bright
  7. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Yes!
  8. Zausel

Thanks for the tip. So as different 12v blinker unit is preferable to wiring on load resistors?
  9. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Either method will work but LED's in indicators. will probably be more trouble and effort than ordinary bulbs
  10. Zausel

That's what I've been thinking. The incandescent bulbs are just fine for blinkers.
  11. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

I am planning on swapping out only the tail, side and number plate lights with LEDs when I can find the right 6v ones. This will probably reduce load on the generator by a continuous 25W - 30W when the lights are on. Every little bit helps and that will compensates for the more powerful headlight bulbs.
  12. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

For bulbs have a look at this site ,not the cheapest but very good quality http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/