1. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

This trailer is located 150 km from me. :)
    Those wheels looks like something i have seen before, and i heard rumors that they made Trabant trailers. :D
    http://www.guloggratis.dk/biler/tra...094742-veteran-trailer-til-renovering-saelges
    Price is 53 euros, so it wont knock my budget over, only problem is that the registration papers is gone, and the Danish system is quite a pain in the *** when it comes to registration of odd stuff without papers. :(
    I will contact the owner of the trailer, and see if i can get a VIN number on it, and call tax office. maybe they can find something in a corner of their system. :)
  2. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

In the US trailers aren't help as strict in most states. Pretty neat little trailer.
  3. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I've said it before, the laws vary from state to state but in Tennessee I know for a fact as long as the trailer is rated below 1000kg, you don't even need papers or are required to register it (require a number plate) for it. But I think if the trailer is used for business use or rated for rated for more weight, you have to register it. I used to have a trailer I could haul a car with but we never registered it.

The only problem is some states do require all trailers and even car dollys to be registered so if you travel to another state that does require it, they can still write you a ticket! Just like Virginia can write you a ticket for having 35% window tint on the front side windows which is perfectly legal in Tennessee but not in Virginia. I know people who have been fined for this. So if you goto into Virginia, keep your windows rolled down!

I bought one of these trailers below as a kit from Northern Tools for about $350. It took me over 12 hours to assemble it and build side rales out of wood but has come in quite handy. I pull it with my Subaru. But because I bolted an entire sheet of plywood to the floor, it no longer folds up. So I have to keep a tarp over it and park it outside.

[​IMG]

Some people even make campers out of them:

[​IMG]

I wanted to build a removable shell for mine and use it for a camper on occasion but my wife said she was not sleeping in it! I told her I would put an air conditioner and TV in it and a comfortable matress and she said she would consider it...

More pics:

http://tiny.cc/5mux1w
  4. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Does your Trabant fit on there. Jerry can fit his on a boat trailer and drag it all over the country. I couldn't believe it. HI Mati, if it is an IFA trailer I would do it and figure out the paperwork later. I really wish I had an IFA Anhaenger. They were a dime dozen back in the day, now they cost extra, if you can find one. I don't want to ship anything again so not looking any more, but back then, I was hot for one.
  5. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I can't imagine pulling anything with a Trabant!

Don't get me wrong, I love my Trabbi but despite having good compression, mine can barely pull itself up hills. Does OK on flat land though.
    I don't know if that is normal or not for a Trabbi. After all I do live in East Tennessee. I guess in Indiana where it's flat, you could get away with pulling a trailer.

There is this one particular hill near my house that is quite steep. I'm guessing a 20 to 30 degree grade perhaps.

I can pull off the main highway, kick it down into 2nd, floor it, then shift into 3rd around 45 kph (~30 mph) about halfway up the hill. By that time I am still accelerating but not much. By the time I reach the top of the hill I'm doing 60 kph (~35 mph). Then it's time to shift into 4th and let the freewheel device do it's work going downhill.
    Who knows what the top speed would be if I could keep going.

The speed limit on this hill is 30 mph so in reality I exceeded the speed limit in a Trabbi!

I can hit 70 mph halfway up this same hill and still be accelerating in my Yugo!
  6. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

I am really considering it. I think i will call the seller today and ask if it has been registered before, because that will make it a lot easyer to get license plates on it. :)
  7. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I would do it. The "no papers" thing is a pain and probably why the bargain price.
  8. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Been trying all day, but they wont answer the phone. :(
  9. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

I hear ya, When I bought my '84 Wartburg the guy tried to give me a good deal on a tiny little pop-up camper made in the USSR that he had tipped on its side and stowed in the back of his shed. At the time I just felt it would be too much hassle to deal with but in hindsight I'm pretty sure I could have gotten it into the shipping container with my cars no problem and I know for sure I could have gotten a hitch for the 'Burg (there's another thing I'm kicking myself for not buying when I had the chance).
  10. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

I have been looking for one to try to bring over in a container (if and when) Aaron brings a container over.....assuming I can find one and he'll let me.
  11. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I bet you could still buy that USSR pop up. And you could get that other things you didn't kick yourself for not buying, but you could. What is it?
  12. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

The seller answered the phone today, and the papers could be at his sisters place, and he will know tommorow, and if they find the papers my dad has a day off work on friday, and school ends early on friday. :)
    Maybe i own a trailer. :D
  13. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I didn't remember, is it an IFA trailer? If it is that is even more outstanding!
  14. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

The rims are the same as a Trabant, that is all i know, bt i think it is an IFA. :)
  15. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

You will be able to figure it out right away. I see now, looking at the pics again, it probably is IFA. Very nice, that will be fun and easy to make look good, unless you, like me, would keep that one the way it is. Your nice new looking Trabant deserves a nice new looking trailer, hope it all works out.
  16. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

I am going to pick it up on friday. :)
    The seller found the papers and there should be something about make and model on them, and he said there is a type plate on it, but he could not read what it says. :)
  17. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Got the trailer home, but the papers are still lost, but i hope i can get them from vehicle office. :)
    (cant upload pictures to Flickr for some reason. :( I will try again later)

On the type sign (which some drunk factory worker placed upside down) it says this:
    IFA logo (sure is a IFA trailer)
    VEB Fahrzeugwerk
    Waltershaussen DDR (multicar factory)
    (unreadable) 1107
    Baujahr 11/81
    (unreadable) kk70
    Grosse TGL 1000 21642
    there is also a VIN number stamped directly into the chassis: 82006
    Anyone who can say something from this?

It seems like it is has been taken care of. :)
    Chassis is galvanized, no slack in bearings or hitch, but wood and tires are useless, and lights does not work at all. (probably a lost ground connection) :)

Now parked in the corner of the garden waiting for complete restauration. :)
    I am thinking about leaving the chassis and fenders galvanized, paint the wood same colour as the car, and the rims same as those on the car, and the axle and hitch black. :)
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    Justin likes this.
  18. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

mati0921 you don't have to use flicker if you want to post something on here, if you click the "Upload a File" button on the bottom right, it will let you upload pictures
  19. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

I dont know if it is a problem here, but on many other forums admins complain about it takes up server space, and makes the board slower, so everythink i post on forums is always hosted elsewhere. :)
    It seems it was just a glitch in Flickr, because it works now:
    [​IMG]
    DSC04408
    by mati0921, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    DSC04402
    by mati0921, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    DSC04400
    by mati0921, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    DSC04398
    by mati0921, on Flickr

After a little searching around on the internet i found out that it was built in the multicar plant. :)
  20. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

It does take up some space, but bttw owns the server and he has it set with size limitations so it doesn't impact the site....I normally post pictures through photobucket, so I'm right there with you