1. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Outstanding trailer I wish I had one, two of my Trabants have hitches and light plugs.
  2. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

did you see my trailer I use to transport Trabants? I think it is in car shows under Cobe Cup or maybe in my introduction. let me know if you want to see it and can't find it.
  3. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

I now have some more info on the trailer. Only the hitch was built at the Multicar factory, and since my type plate is gone (probably to the bottom of a galvanizing tank) No one knows where it might be built (could be VEB Anhängerbau Wittenberge) but no gaurantee since many factories made them after the same drawings. I will only know if it says on the registration papers. :)
    The model is HP 500.01. :)

I will call vehicle office tomorrow and find out what i need to get the papers from them. :)
  4. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Yes i have seen your trailer, and it looks good, but this is more useful for me. I plan to make some kind of detachable hardtop for it. :)
  5. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Good luck with your trailer papers. Even if you don't get them, you have a project already and can take your time on the trailer. btw. do you have drawings of that trailer? Now there is an idea, make one???
  6. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I use this trailer for other things too. Tractor on there or move a lawn mower, even furniture etc. I helped friends save on a moving van by helping them move with this trailer. It has also had a Trabant on it to DC and back twice and once, one way, from Missouri. It gets much use but must be pulled by a larger vehicle.
  7. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

trabi hitch.jpg I saw this on eBay.de but the auction already ended:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    trabant601 likes this.
  8. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I seen that. Can't do much towing around here where I live in the mountains of East Tennessee with a Trabant. When towing a riding lawnmower on a 4X8 trailer with my Subaru I can't feel it's back there while going up hills.
  9. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

watch for another, they come up, or for even less, you could have someone make one with the right size ball for you. In the DDR there was a place in the title/registration where the hitch was inspected and approved with a max. cap.
    frogbros likes this.
  10. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Sure you can, the Germans did it in the Alps :)
  11. turbofiat124

12. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

Nice little trailer , congratulations ! . I don't understand why it has to be registered with its own papers? Over here in the UK you just buy / make one and hitch it up. All is required is you have the registration number of the car it is attached to on the back of the trailer . Most people do not bother , they can get away with saying they have borrowed it . Seems like it is a pain for you to deal with all the legal stuff over there.
  13. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

It has to pass inspection before i can get the licence plate for it. it also got its own registration papers, and VIN number. :)
    At least it dont have to pass inspection every second year as cars have to, but they should be called in from time to time. we see it way too much that people leave the trailer in the back yard, and 10 years later pull it out, with the result of about 10% of the lights work, and when the get on the highway the tires explode because they are rotten, causing a hell of a mess. :D
  14. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

Hi @mati0921 ,Yes, it happens here too . You will get busted by the Police if you take a trailer out with no lights working or defective but most people check the trailers before going on the road. I think you have done well to replicate the original wheel arch . Also, Finding a pair of DDR trailer lights was very lucky ! It must have been fate ! A very good idea putting them in metal surrounds to stop them getting broken .
    I wish DDR goods were easy to find here , they are nearly impossible to find .
  15. turbofiat124

I don't even have a number plate on my 4X8 wagon. Tennessee does not require it to be registered.

As far as lights not working. I packed the bulb sockets on mine full of wheel bearing grease and keep it covered up with a tarp when not in use.