1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Hi, I'm looking to buy a serviceable 12v starter motor for my Trabant P601S. Anyone out there in Trabbi land UK got one??
  2. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

I have been using a 6V starter without problems for 2 years now as daily driver. 6V may be easyer to find, and the hold just fine. :)
  3. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

There is a bloke on german ebay that sells an overhaul kit for not a lot of money ? Unless your starter is completely FUBAR it should sort it
  4. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Mmm that's what I thought and I have been using my 6v one until today when I came to start the engine after fitting 12 volt alternator. It started a little reluctantly and after stopping because the engine was cold, I tried again to start it and all I got was a 'click' repeatedly. Took the starter off the engine and tried spinning it and the shaft ran slower and slower and the relay got very warm. The battery is new so it's not at fault.

Steve
  5. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Hi, well my one that has apparently died is a 6 volt original one and I am converting to 12 volt so I don't know if that would make a difference to the overhaul procedure.
  6. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Ah probably worth trying to get a 12v one . Be careful if buying off german ebay . The trabant wartburg starters look identical but rotate in the opposite direction .
  7. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Well, today I took the old 6v starter motor completely out of the car, connected it up to a different battery with jump leads, and lo and behold it spun up to normal speed and seemed OK enough to try it again in the car. I cleaned up all the battery leads and terminals and earth point on the engine and added a bodywork earthing point to the battery as there didn't seem to be one. Now it seems OK and starts fine. Also, I now have a healthy charge from the new alternator to the 12v system.

So cancel the request for a 12v starter, for the moment anyway.
  8. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

If you can find a 12v solenoid to fit to your 6v motor it might help extend its life
  9. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Thanks for that. I will search.