1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

Anybody have a halfway decent Trabant 601 motor in the USA? Mine for a lack of better words is ruined..

Also could use a gas tank, bumpers, starter(for a spare).

Im in Virginia.

Thanks!
  2. A Spooky Ghost

If I had a good set of cases, then I could cobble something together.
  3. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Is the crankshaft damaged? If the casing has a large chunk in it, I'm sure it could possible be welded up if someone knew what they were doing.
  4. A Spooky Ghost

The crank has a busted lower rod bearing( on the side with the 1/4 sized hole under it). I really don't think the bearing worked its way out of the rod end, and knocked the hole. There must have been something extra that helped it along. Plus the other bearings are Kaput.

As for the case, I was seriously considering having it welded up. Would be in a very easy place for a patch on the out side. Though where those flat metal plates run near/ against the case walls, there are groves/ scoring.

I am by far no Trabbi expert, but I would think that is not quite right!

Feel free to let me know other wise! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  5. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Next time remove the flywheel and end cover before separating block. then you dont have to get a new end cover. :)
  6. A Spooky Ghost

Thats actually how it came to me. The lower case had already been off.

Looks like someone got a bit impatient, and really went at it!

Then they said fudge it, and kinda put it back together.
  7. A Spooky Ghost

I may be going on a safari for some engine parts soon, so I'll try to get another set of cases at least.

That hole is spider cracked all around it. Also the crank has a large amount of damage around where that rod seized & chunked the bearing out. I attempted pressing apart the crank, really no good way for me to set it up.

I've been looking into a whole rebuilt engine from Germany, or find a good set of cases- and everything else I need!
  8. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

When you order your new engine, you may find it is too heavy as is to send by DHL. Have the seller send the cylinder heads and the rump motor in two separate shipments.
  9. turbofiat124

I just thought of someone. There's a guy in Indiana who is supposed to have like 10 Trabants and probably several engines. The guy's name is Mike Annen. He's the guy with the beard @ 27 seconds in this YouTube video.

I don't know how to get in touch with him. I've never seen him on this forum. If you can get in touch with him, he might have what you are looking. I don't know if he sells anything though.

You could possibly email Amanda who works at the International Spy Museum. I'm sure she has his email address. I'll have to look up her email address.
  10. A Spooky Ghost

Funny you would mention Mike..... I just went on a 300+ mile round trip to Maryland to see him! :eek:

I came back with everything I needed.

Have a look see at the pictures.

The engine from Mike was rebuilt, and looks to be barley used. Maybe not even broken in! He said he got it years ago in Germany, as a spare.

So now this little cotton death trap has a future! :rolleyes:

Also I got a dented, but solid gas tank, 1 spare wheel, a cracked hood( with good frame), and some bumpers.

It all just fit in the Citroen CX.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  11. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

looks like your going to be busy for a while,iy you leave the head gaskets off when you fit the heads you will get a bit more compression and preformance
  12. turbofiat124

Glad you go in touch with Mike. I was thinking he lived in Indiana. Maybe because Eric who lives in Indiana has a bunch of Trabants as well.

You got a Citroen CX? I've got a 2CV.
  13. A Spooky Ghost

Yeah its a Prestige(the big one). Which at the moment has crapped out on me, the ignition switch has locked up. It happened while on the way back, with a car full of 601 parts.