1. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

Hi,
    I'm trying to learn more about these cars before I eventually get hold of one. I'm just wondering if there's any club meets, groups or even owners I could visit to learn more about the cars and perhaps get a close look at a Trabant? I'm keen to learn more :)
  2. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

It's a little early in the year for meets and shows. Easter is the time when they start. Where are you in the North West? There is a guy who comes on ebay selling Trabant bits now and again with a Chorley location, but I don't know any more about him. I am retired and if you want a run out to Nottingham, PM me and we can fix up a date and time where you can come and have a chat about Trabants.
  3. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

I bought mt second trabi from a guy in Chorley he imported several from Hungary it sounds like the same guy
  4. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

Ok that’s fair enough, I know the Trabant has a much smaller following so Club support may not be massive. The Triumph Club I used to be a part of met every month regardless, some even brought their cars. I don’t use my Triumph in winter because there is too much salt put down these days.

I’m not too far from Chorley actually, I’ll do a google search for Trabant Chorley and see what it gives me.

I’m really getting fired up about them now.
  5. Tenacious

Tenacious Newbie

I'd be interested in a North West Trabi meet, or even just a general East European vehicle meet.
  6. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Have you joined the IFA Wartburg and Trabant club UK? We have about 5 or 6 meets during the year, and vehicles include Trabant, Wartburg, Barkas, MZ bikes, etc. There is also a Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/ifaclubuk/?ref=group_header
  7. Tenacious

Tenacious Newbie

Was planning on signing up in the new year once christmas is well out of the way!
  8. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

It's only £12 or so to join, you'd be better doing it sooner than later!! Where abouts in the North West are you? There is a facebook group for the club and there are a few members close to or in the NW who may be able to help you out, me being one of them. :)
  9. Tenacious

Tenacious Newbie

Ace, will get right on it! ^.^

I'm in Greater Manchester, in one of those weird Pennine orbital towns that inspired Royston Vasey (the local funfair advertises itself as "A Local Fair for Local People", no joke!)
  10. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

That sounds good, they have a meeting around the Stoke area normally in June where they do a drive out round the Pennines. If things go to plan I may well be able to take part.
  11. Tenacious

Tenacious Newbie

I can certainly make it down to Stoke in June, might need to get someone to pick me up from the station if I don't have a Trabi of my own by then, but I'm sure something could be worked out.
  12. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Sorry guys, duff info from Iron Jaw there. Not read his Two Stroke Times latest edition. That's the free club mag sent by email to members. This year the Stoke event has been moved. Instead it will be based at the steam railway at Embsay near Skipton and we will be doing a tour in convoy of the Yorkshire Dales on the Saturday. But before that there is a meet in Cotswolds/Gloucester area in May.