1. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

trabi has been stored for a few years then this last 2 week's I have been driving her just starting to have faith in the trabi then today the old p50 felt like it was running out of fuel jurking and slowing down forced to move down the box and look for a place to stop. I had just under half a tank of petrol in her humm well time to check the plugs both black and wet humm may be 2 much fuel so I toped the tank up and put new plugs running better but not right how ever got me to the lock up to change cars

tomorrow I will check the battery and brake out the carburetor cleaner then see how things are
  2. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

Me thinks this could be tied to your not starting when hot issue. Like a coil, and or condenser is breaking down with heat. Both and ignition, or a fuel starvation issue will give the same symptoms as this.

For peace of mind, the next time you get it running- and it will idle. Put your hand over the carb intake-(it should instantly start to die)- {if it has a removable elbow-take this off, they always leak some when doing the test}. So if it does die, this means at least your seals on the engine are good...

The other place to look, would be your fuel tank cap. Is the vent hole open, or does it have one?

What about the fuel tap/ line. Does it have a good steady stream of fuel?

You don't need to answer all of these( just ponder them to your self!).
    RogerDerSchrauber and barrie like this.
  3. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

4. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

5. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

not good news:( I have tried to upload vid but took of air cleaner and covered air intake car kept running what's next is this a engine out job? all so metal pipe was broken and rubber hose bottom of the block buy fan cracked
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  6. A Spooky Ghost

Did you remove the METAL carb elbow? If not, remove the metal elbow from the carb, then put your hand over it again while running. The elbows usually leak!

As for that cracked pipe, it looks like it is the heat exchange stuff, so it doesn't affect your problems...

So if after the METAL intake elbow is removed, and it still runs with your hand over it. Then you have air leak somewhere. Could be in the carb mount gasket flange, case flanges, the crank seals, and or the cylinder base gaskets.

That's about it...
  7. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

I did not remove I will check in mooring finger's crossed
  8. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

If the plugs are wet and black its most likely the choke on or air filter blocked or an ignition problem
  9. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

pop.jpg took the head of today look at top right all black think this is having some think to do with it
  10. A Spooky Ghost

I'm sure that didn't help anything. Seems a head gasket let go...

They can, and do run with leaky head gaskets. If bad enough, this can cause quite a jerking, and slowing of the engine..

So it is good you found it, but there is probably other ignition/ fuel related things going on.
  11. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

are their any gasket to replace on a p50 it look like metal on metal gasket to me

like all ways I will keep fixing and driving and fixing and driving. some times I do think about getting a new trabant on a 12v system
  12. A Spooky Ghost

I can't say for certain if there is a replaceable head gasket on the p50. Though on the later 601s they come stock with a gasket, that sometimes people take off for a squeak more power.
    Since yours is leaking with no gasket,it means the head is warped. I would strongly recommend using a head gasket. Either way, you need to flatten the cylinder heads.

The best way to flatten the sealing surface would be to use a
    piece of window glass, or mirror glass on a flat surface- with a decent grit wet sand paper on top (150-300 Grit). Sand in a figure 8 motion until the surface looks new.
  13. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

I have spare head's from a 601 engine wonder if they will fit o_O
  14. A Spooky Ghost

I wouldn't know. No need, if you flatten the old ones like I mentioned. Really easy to do!:cool:
    barrie likes this.