1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. Zausel

Zausel Genosse Forum Donor

After I messed up my timing and then reset it, the car is very sluggish going into the next gear. I know bad timing messes up a carb but why this? I reset it back and after finding a bit of a leak at one head gasket and fixing that, it sounds better than ever.

I didn't change anything on the carb except a bit if fiddling with the needle valve (mix ratios) and I put that back to where it needed to be.

I'd rather not pull the carb and take it apart.

Just don't know why it's sluggish all of a sudden.
  2. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Bad timing will not mess up the carb. It as no contact with the carb. You can adjust the carb to try and compensate for bad timing, but it will just feel under powered.

Andy.
  3. Zausel

So I am at a loss as to why it went South all of a sudden. The WHIMS says to always make sure timing is set correctly before giving the carb a tuning.

I'll see if this one is plugged somewhere down the line.
  4. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Did you do anything to the advance mechanism when you were doing the timing?
  5. Zausel

It's EBZA. 3mm BTDC measured with a depth gauge and a test light between both terminals of the appropriate coil, and the plates were adjusted until the light turned off.
  6. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

If it ran well before you done any timing adjustments, then its most likely your issue will lie there.

Andy.
  7. Zausel

Yup. My thoughts exactly
  8. Zausel

I'm just confused as to why the timing, set to specs, is causing issues. I'll just keep messing with it.
  9. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

What was it's settings before, when it ran ok? Have you disconnected any thing on the ignition system and put back incorrectly?

Andy.
  10. Zausel

Well, when I hit it with a timing light, the marks were a few degrees above the crankcase seam. Then I used the light to bring the markings down to the seam. Then it ran poorly. Set the cylinders to 3mm BTDC and it idles fine.

Going to check the main jet on the carb after the weekend. Maybe something is blocking or there is gunk in the bowl.
  11. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

A carb service is never a bad thing, especially on a very old vehicle.

Andy.
  12. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

I'm sure you already checked this -but, the magnetic spinning rotor attached to the crank shaft. Try to gently wiggle it with your hand.

It should be tight with the crank, and have no play. Mine backed off, and made the car sound, and run funny.

Also, it is hard telling about the "factory" timing marks. Chances are your engine has been apart one time, and had a another crank in it.

Maybe check your plug wires- for shorting to ground while running.
  13. Zausel

Rebuilt the carb about three years ago but it sits a lot and I just replaced the petcock with a solenoid, maybe I knocked something loose and it's plugged.