1. staplerformilton

staplerformilton Puttering Along

My battery just gave up the ghost. I want to get a correct spec replacement 6v with the top mounted pole terminals but I can't find one small enough to fit the factory battery mount. Where can I get a new one?
  2. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Try a vw beetle/bug battery (pre 1967 were six volt) not exactly the same but should fit
  3. d0mokun

d0mokun Newbie

MGB style ones work nicely too. I've got a 421 6v on mine.
  4. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Tractor Supply Store
  5. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

6. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Here's the 6 volt one (the only one) that Tractor Supply sells. It will soon be four years I've had this battery and it still holds a charge. I think it had a 2 year warranty. Which I think is great considering batteries these days are so cheaply made your lucky if they last 2 years. The one on my van bit the dust in less than 2 years and it's driven more often than my Trabant.

[​IMG]

The reason for the homemade tie-down bracket is the importer told me the battery wouldn't hold a charge so I bought this battery before the car was delivered to my house. The battery was dead when the car arrived and the tow truck driver swapped batteries but forget to install the bracket. So it was lost for good. I've been meaning to see if TrabantWelt or Danzer sells any. I did find one used on Ebay.de but either the shipper did not offer international shipping or the shipping was going to cost me $40 for a $5 bracket.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  7. Zausel

Zausel Genosse Forum Donor

I've got one that's been sitting two + years....if you want it. Took it out when I upgraded to 12v. Can see if it holds a charge when I get out to the shop.
  8. turbofiat124

Battery or tie down bracket?
  9. Zausel

Me? Battery. My 6v and 12v, bought in the US and A batteries both fit just fine in the original spot w original clamps. I charged the 12v and the LED test light lit up so I know it is holding at least 300mA! Will take to battery shop for a test if the OP wants it.
  10. turbofiat124

HAH! I was just thinking of that post this morning for some reason.

I thought you meant you had a spare tie down bracket.
  11. Zausel

My 6v test good at the shop. It's for sale.