1. Leigh

Leigh Newbie

This is my Barkas project I'm about to start, I hope to be complete within 4 to 6 months ready for the spray shop, I have no experience with these vans at all, so may ask a few questions to the guys that own them.

History

This Barkas was used in a couple of popular films in the 80's and 90's. It has since then sat in dry storage (it still has some GDR tyres on it)

Plans

My partner wants a camper so I'm leaving the interior to for her to design, not sure on color's yet.
    I'm dropping the engine and gearbox out for an overhaul and cleanup.

Pics

Here are some more pictures of her up close showing the worst of it.

Behind drivers seat
    behind drivers seat.jpg

Behind passenger seat
    behind passenger seat.jpg

Drivers footwell
    drivers footwell 1.jpg

Passenger footwell
    passenger footwell 1.jpg

Roof Roof 1.jpg

Under passenger door
    under passenger door 1.jpg

GDR tyre. I have 3 of these, 2 on the van and the spare.
    GDR tire.jpg

Is this the original toolkit for the barkas? I have since this picture found 2 more tools for the kit
    toolkit.jpg

Inside roof (just surface, most of it)
    inside roof.jpg

Light cluster rust (just surface) and bottom rust
    light cluster.jpg

Its late here so I bid you all farewell

Thanks

Leigh

Attached Files:

Justin likes this.
  2. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Loyal Comrade

I would so love to own one of these van(s) =0(
  3. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

In the photo "behind passenger seat" there's an end wrench playing hide and seek inside the panel. Good luck on your project. There are one or two guys on here who know the Barkas inside and out so you're in the right place.
  4. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

Good luck with your project. A Barkas is an advanced collector car and always ALWAYS have something braking down on it. This is why it's quite rewarding to take it for a drive!

Parts are hard to come by. The transmission is very weak, the suspension is a complicated design needing constand lubrication. The engine last for a long time as long as you lube it correctly and keep up with the ignition braker points.

I hope I scared you enugh! If you have any questions I'm happy to help. I got manuals and 4 Barkases, one of which is a car hauler.

Greetings, Peter
  5. Leigh

Leigh Newbie

Hi, sorry I haven't replied earlier, been so busy, Ok where do I start.......

Ive cut the majority of rust out of the van and have had to fabricate 90% of the seals running from one rear wheel to another, there has been more rust then expected so I have not done anything to the engine or gearbox yet. most of the time has been spent cutting and welding the rear end in on the van. Where she had been standing for years the condensation has collected and pretty much rusted the rear of the roof, over the back door, this in tern has had a knock on effect on the on the rear all over so quite a bit of time spent cutting and welding that in.

so far done :

roof (shes watertight)
    top of rear door frame
    below door frame all the way to the seals
    rear arches patched
    inside roof sanded
    rear seals

So I haven't got as much as I wanted done with the Barkas, Ive had a few other cars Ive had to work on in the meantime, but probably a week after my first post on here, my other half saw a Trabant for sale while browsing the internet which I had seen the same car for sale on these forums, yes we now have a Trabant also on the drive for me to do!.

Thankyou for your replies, I found the spanner you pointed out Wartburg353W, cheers, Peter my other half has fallen in love with the van so I have no choice (shes even mucking in with the sanding :eek:), as soon as I have the bodywork sorted I would be very greatfull if one of you experts could a rundown on the parts that I have to pay close attention to, also whats likely to fail for the mot etc.
    I have had the drums off the van to look at the brakes, all of the shoes fel apart but the drums have had very little wear.

I will throw some progress pics up after holiday is over and the kids are back at school.

Many thanks

Leigh
  6. Bountyflyer

Wow! Thats a lot of work you have done already my friend! A Barkas like to rust because their rust protection wasnt as good as today's cars are.

So you got a Trabant too! Thats cool! Specially that your wife wanted it! Once you have time, would you post both cars in the forum's garage? Doesn't matter how good or bad they look! My wife would never want a Trabant! It's sort of an annoyance for her. Needless to say she has a new VW golf wagon...

The brake can be very tricky. Since your car was sitting for a long time, you probably will need to change all the cylindes. The master cylinder is really hard to come by and quite expensive. The rest is easy with the exception of the little pressure valve what is located in the middle just before the rear suspension. It supposed to adjust the rear brake pressure depending on the weight. I have never was able to find one new. And if you do, please share the info! Even if you find a new master cylinder, it might gonna leak as I heared... According to the manual you not supposed to take it apart but I did mine anyway. Still working, but if I don't drive the Barkas for a few months one of the cylinders will get stuck guarantee! When you blead the system only press the brake pedal with your hand! If you push it with your feet the boubles will travel elsewhere and it never will work... You could pressurebleed it but that would require either a professional bleeder or a home made unit. If interested how to make one from a few £s and a used coke bottle let me know. I had to make one for my old SL Mercedes with the ABS System.

By the way, I have 3 Brittish cars around me... 2 Austin Healeys 3000's and a Bug eye sprite race car in the makes.

Please exuse my English, it's my third language and I learned most of it from Yenks...

Cheers
  7. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

I have found reich-tuning and danzer autoteile good for Barkas parts . One thing you might not realise is the brake pipes are a different diameter to most modern cars . I used 6mm kunifer i bought a complete roll and replaced the lot as the originals were all rusted . Luckily my local mechanic was able to flare the larger pipe as old BMC stuff used 1/4 inch pipes which is very close . A good tip is to strip your new cylinders and coat in red rubber grease then reassemble
  8. Bountyflyer

What is that "red rubber grease"? I always used brake caliper grease. Can you take a picture of the box if you have some time?
  9. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade