1. Aaron

Aaron Leader

So it all started last year..I decided I wanted a 4x4 toy, in part for hunting, occasional camping and offroad excusions, and most importantly the ability to tow my boat to the lake in the summer...

Being as it was a second vehicle ,I didnt want any run of the mill pickup or SUV..

A little research and digging led me to this.

1985 Chevrolet M1009 blazer that had seen service up until July of 2011.
    [​IMG]

It ran flawlessly throughout the summer..did it's chores getting to the lake..Took it to the sand dunes here in Michigan..No problems at all.

I decided to get rid of the camo paint, put on a convertible top, and make it a little more presentable over the winter.
    Digging into it, I found there isnt a body panel, but or bolt that hasnt been off on this thing...Bit challenging...On top of it, it had a lot of bondo...Few smacks with a hammer on the rockers crumbled to reveal this..
    [​IMG]

I pushed on...replaced both rockers, some rust in the floor, and went at it.

[​IMG]

I did take the proper precautions using military CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) paint..Lot of class action lawsuits from guys who painted trucks tan before heading to the desert without proper ventilation. I used a habor freight gravity spread gun...$25 and worked great.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the exterior green paid down, I went at the interior with "Als Liner" spray in bedliner. I wanted black..But after noticing every truck you see with black spray in looks dirty all the time, i went with tan. Should hide the mud nicely. I sprayed it at a friends shop, as it was cold out, and my garage is small and I didnt want to empty it. I used a "texture" spray gun, similar to what is used to spray textured ceilings, etc. It worked great for the Als liner.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finished off with some custom stenciling, just so i dont get mixed up with the national guard when out driving the streets ;)
    [​IMG]

This is the relatively finished project...Putting the top down and heading to the lake should be great this summer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I learned a lot...I am generally good with technical things, this was the first time I had attempted any bodywork..My best advice is, dont sweat it.. Read up on it..One good thing about anything you do is it is simple to fix/redo if it isnt to your liking.
    Justin likes this.
  2. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Aaron, that thing looks awesome, I could use some paint work if you get really bored and want a trip to Texas ;)

Anyway, that came out very nice!
  3. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Thanks! And would gladly help/show you..but if I go down there I am coming back here with a Trabbie on a trailer!
  4. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Haha, I am the only one with a Trabi, in my area, actually I lie, there is another guy that has one not too far from me but he isn't all that active with it. You can take his but not mine :)

I have a 30 Gal compressor so I'm happy to learn. It actually is on my list, it would save me a fortune if I could paint.
  5. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Give it a shot..Watch as many videos as you can...In fairness, the paint I used on this truck isn't so much a paint as it is a two part epoxy, as it takes a catalyst to work...

But either way..I sprayed it once, it didnt come out good..Not strong, few drips, uneven. I sanded it down, did it again...Found out airflow is your friend..Fans, door cracked open, heater blowing on full, made a world of difference and came out at least as good, if not better than the army could do..Which aint sayin much.

a flat enamel shouldnt be any harder I wouldnt think..If its not good, do it over until it is good :)
    Justin likes this.