1. ummeli

ummeli Premium Member Forum Donor

The keys to my Trabi are lost and gone forever (through no fault of my own I hasten to add). Can anybody suggest a way to replace the keys that wouldn't require purchasing a new ignition, etc?

I understand there are only four key patterns. Could I simply purchase one of each and see which fits?

Thanks
  2. Penfold

Penfold Newbie

Hello,

It’s a pain when that happens. I had a similar problem for another car and ended up replacing most of the locks, with only the boot lock staying as original (British car).

I can’t remember if the locks on the Trabi have codes on them, if so, you’ll get away with ordering from someone like LDM https://www.ldm-tuning.de/en/artikel-1341.htm

If not, any trabi owners close to you to test their key and maybe get lucky?

Good luck!
  3. ummeli

There's only one other Trabant owner in Ohio and we've tried his keys.
  4. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

Now this is going to be a stretch, but I did it on a motorcycle -and it saved the day. Also my trabbi..

If you can get a key blank(like you had). Then you can take off the door handle, and remove the lock tumbler. Now comes the fun part. With some small needle files, proceed to slowly hand file the teeth of the key, so that when inserted, the tumblers all sit flush.. Doesn't take much, just measure, recheck ect..

In other words, whittle out a key pattern...

Or get new locks... Really easy to change out. Kinda the whole theme of the car.

When my parts 601 came, it had a toyota truck key blank in the switch. It worked but not well...
  5. ummeli

Would that work for the ignition key also?
  6. A Spooky Ghost

If it was the same as the door, and trunk-then yes. My trabi is like this. Only have one key for the whole car.
  7. ummeli

Unfortunately it isn't (wasn't). I had two different keys for the doors and the ignition.
  8. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

you can buy the key blanks fron german ebay then file them to fit the locks like spooky ghost said . You should be able to get key blanks locally if you go to a good locksmith as long as it fits into the lock it can be made to work
  9. ummeli

How many different blanks are there?
  10. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

11. ummeli

According to trabantwelt.de, the key number is stamped on the trunk lock, the inside of the door locks, and on the ignition lock.

Does anybody know where the number is stamped on the ignition lock?
  12. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

No i don't but if it is the old type without a steering lock it's probably as cheap to buy a new switch complete with keys
  13. ummeli

I found the numbers to the boot latch. I didn't look for the numbers to the doors because it would've required be to remove the door panels and it was bloody hot and I was tired.

The ignition is still a mystery to me. From the front I can't see any numbers at all. The rear wiring panel has a sequence of numbers which I've circled in red: 86308/3. That doesn't sound like a key number though.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I appreciate everyone's suggestions.

ignition 1.jpg ignition 3.jpg

Attached Files:

14. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

I think you need to replace the ignition switch. In the short term you could pop the lock with a big screwdriver . . .
  15. ummeli

How do I get the front part off? (The part circled in blue.) The rear plate with the four wires simply unscrewed, but I couldn't figure out how to get the front off.

20200723_133725 - Copy.jpg
  16. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

You can't without destroying it. The black lock assembly goes around the column and bolts to the support with two bolts needs to be replaced and it will have a new lock and key in it. But all you need is the electrical switch that you unscrewed to run the car. If you can insert a screwdriver or something into the plastic switch in the circle in the middle on the front and just turn it, it's the same as turning the key, without the lock.
  17. ummeli

Could I just install an old ignition switch in the dash board and reroute the wires from the current ignition to it? It appears to have four contacts, the same as in my current switch (took the pic from the Danzer site).

old ignition.png
  18. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Yes that will work but you don't need a trabant switch any generic switch sourced locally ( cheaply ) will do the job or even raid the junk yard for a suitable switch
  19. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

20. A Spooky Ghost