1. Bought a 601 de luxe back in January. Used to be owned by former (and presumed now-deceased) member Karl Shultz of Florida. I've had the car for months and it has yet to move under its own power. :-( I am having a hard time getting parts. This is what I need:

1) The under-bonnet support beam that is used to connect the bonnet to the vehicle. Mine has rusted to pieces.

2) Could use a rebuilt old-style carburetor. Got one from Romania but it did not work well at all.

3) Need the metal brackets that attach side-view mirror to vehicle. I have a new mirror, but no brackets. :-(

If anyone has these, would be glad to pay top dollar. Please don't refer me to LDM or Recih Tuning. Been there, done that. Long story...

Also, if anyone here knew Karl or history on his cars, please let me know. I sent a letter to his last address, but it was never answered.

Thanks.

Jason D. Treadaway
    Atlanta
  2. Steve H

Steve H Loyal Comrade

When you said Georgia, I though "no problem getting parts, then".

At this point, I realised you didn't mean the ex-Soviet state!
  3. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

We're all in the same boat here in the states, parts-wise. Here's my favorite source: http://www.danzer-autoteile.de/ Danzer is a small family business in Chemnitz and they have fair prices and lots of selection. Just browse the online catalog (it's in German but there are lots of pictures) and then email Andrea by the contact link and ask for a shipping quote. You will be pleasantly surprised by the shipping too I think.
    On the carb, do you really need just a rebuild kit? They are cheap and easy to ship. On the mirror, I'm sure Danzer can get you a complete mirror if you insist on authenticity, but Trabis had various mirrors and often had just any mirror attached. A generic door mirror could be had easily and cheaply in lots of places.
    Actually, for things like a mirror and a rebuild kit, ebay.de might also be worth a look.
    Anyway let's see this thing. Have you posted pics yet?
    Jeff
    Justin likes this.
  4. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Danger is pretty good. There are also a couple others. I'm above you in Nashville (grew up in ATL though).

There is also a guy, Charlie who is in CO who may have a lot of the parts you need. If you PM me I can get you his info.

Also, feel free to reach out should you need additional assistance.
  5. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

And i agree with LDM and Reich. Plus they are VERY over priced.
  6. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

My favorite is trabantwelt.de, they come through for me every time. They also accept Paypal, which makes it very easy. I even had them ship me a new windshield one time, total price shipped was less than $100. Super nice people.

I sold Charlie the car he is parting out (I think I sold hime 2 rusty Trabis for like $1000), anyway, he probably would have all the parts you need as well...but the under hood support may have the same rust issues.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  7. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

Jason, welcome aboard! There are some great people here with some great advice, which comes from years of experience!

Merchants: project_601 on EBay have also been very helpful to me. It does help to know German, though, since this really is a niche market. But you can't go wrong with Trabantwelt. Their customer service is first-rate! Be prepared for higher than expected shipping costs, since most people ship via DHL, who charge a lot. Last order from trabantwelt for me arrived in ten days. Not bad!
  8. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Danzer takes paypal as well. Justin, you're in Nashville?
  9. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Hey, I'm James up here in the Tri-Cities area (Kingsport area).

I'm not going to bash any parts vendors but TrabantWelt and Danzer are the ones I usually do business with. I ordered once from LDM but they are a bit expensive compared to other vendors. But would order from them again if I had to.

I would like to do business with Reich Tuning but they don't have "USA" in their drop down box when I tried to set up a new customer. And I've emailed the guy twice and he had never replied so I suppose he is not wanting to sell parts to anyone outside of Europe.

If you want me to rebuild your old style carb, I'll be more than happy to look at it for you if you'll compensate me for:

1) the float valve
    2) float bowl seal
    3) maybe a new float.

That's really the only thing that can go wrong with the old style carburetors. Also the float valve adjustment is important as well. If it is set too high it will make the engine run really rich. If the idle circuit is clogged (which mine was) they won't idle lower than 1000 rpms and will sometimes stall out because they are trying to run off the main circuit.

They are no different than a lawnmower carburetor. No accelerator valve, no rubber parts or O-rings except for the fuel bowl gasket.

But if the throttle shaft seals are shot, then I can't help that.
  10. Craig

Craig Newbie

Hi Jason. I also ended up with one of Karl Schultz's Trabants. I got it in August 2015 and have been slowly working on it ever since. There was another one for sale at the time I got mine. It was blue and had a big flag sticker on the door. Is that the one you ended up with? Small world.
  11. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

@Wartburg353W
    Sorry, just saw this....yes, I am now in Nashville...Moved here a year ago.