1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I got this Yugo scale model in the mail today. As you guys know I've been into Fiats for 20 years like Justin has been into British cars and they are still my first love of cars. I don't know why the Brandenberg gate is used as a backdrop for a Yugo. At least it looks like the Brandenberg gate to me. I could be wrong.

[​IMG]
  2. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Not a bad looking model. Nice proportions, color, detail. Tires/wheels look a little oversized to you?
  3. turbofiat124

Yeah the tires are a bit oversized. I don't know why they chrome plated the wheels with black plastic center caps. The rims and center caps are supposed to be silver.

I have a Vitesse Trabant model, the body panels are made of steel and the under carriage is made of plastic! The green Matchbox Trabant is the same way. I bought a yellow one of these from a guy in the U.K. . It turned out to be the exact as the Mathbox but lacked the Matchbox logo on the bottom.

[​IMG]

I couldn't help but buy this just because it's a ZAZ.

[​IMG]
  4. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

Greetings!

Regarding the Yugo Model (IST091) - It's a Yugo45, and that IS the Brandenberg Gate. The reason I beleive for using it as a backdrop for the Yugo is "Production Cost" as the IST (pronounced East) models are all Communist (Eastern) Bloc vehicles AND - as far as many people including the Chinese manufacturer IXO are concerned - that monument is an icon of the eastern bloc. Hence they use that same red/blue box for all their models in the UK market range!
    In Germany they are called Cars and Company and are in light blue/silver box, with reference numbers beginning with CCC.

As for the small Trabant, You say the yellow one doesn't have the Matchbox name on it - that's because it's a Maisto one! The wheels are a give away feature.
    I have a boxed one somewhere.
  5. turbofiat124

My guess was some Chineese company manufacturers these for Maisto, Matchbox and others and the manufacturer puts whoever ordered these cars names on it. And for some reason the yellow one was not stamped.
  6. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

You'd be correct. Most diecast cars - certainly here in UK- are made in China.

Regarding the Maisto Trabant, I had a look for mine today and strangely I have Three! A green one identical to yours and a yellow(ish) one, both in Maisto "Transit Authority" boxes marked "diecast metal collection"
    The 3rd an identical yellow BUT in a Maisto "Special Edition" box. However, I cant see the difference between the two!
  7. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

I was not aware there was a Trabant issued by Matchbox. I don't see any on ebay. Are you quite sure? It does look like a Maisto in your photo.
  8. turbofiat124

Well, maybe it is Maisto. I remember it coming with a Mercedes and here it is. I do know the yellow one has no markings on the under carriage.

[​IMG]