1. Cold-War-Charlie

Cold-War-Charlie Von Trabi Forum Donor

Both the parade helmets are genuine with the two types of line. You will note that the parade helmets have the rivets. The shells arent sized but the liners are. My 3 parade helmets that I own have the net because we use them for re-enactment as they are lighter than the steel helmets (people dont know the difference)

The red foam on the one parade helmet has been cut down by myself and the band cut so that it fits my big head better.
  2. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

Thanks for the clarification regarding the pics of the WW2 type liner!
    You are right about people not noticing the difference between the Plastic and Steel helmets, I spent some time looking at the photos and Could't tell them apart, seems as though one HAS to handle them. Also, I didn't spot the rivets on the Parade version, they must have been concealed by the net.
  3. Cold-War-Charlie

The plastic helmets are very hard to find as they were only given to the elite troops. Its a bit like NVA Para equipment as there was only ever 800 at any one time so things like the Strichtarn Para uniforms and the Para combat vest/beret etc are rare (I have a couple of these sets but hunting a beret). The ultimate NVA item to have though is the post war Amoeba pattern camouflage uniform. The last set sold for £1200. (pic below)

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  4. Cold-War-Charlie

There is a nice 1959 dated NVA helmet on eBay for sale in America. ( I think the decal is not original but even so) eBay item number 161084763339
  5. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

Greetings!
    Decal MAY be original if it was the right model AND they continued using the decal to 1959:

" So it was that production of the model BII was resumed in January 1956. The new helmet was introduced to the East German Public via photographs published that February in a magazine for the German Youth, or FDJ. The new helmet was officially introduced at the introduction ceremony of the NVA on May 1st, in Berlin. It was painted in a 'Stone Grey' matte and bore a Tri-color Shield on one side in Black, Red and Gold."

(SEE http://mainly28s.com/odds/001_NVA_Helmet.html)
    The above is an extract from a Long piece about the history of the M56

trabant601 likes this.
  6. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Thanks for siting the source. There is plenty of info out there. I gave one M56 to Wartburg345W because he needed if to complete his kit. I kept the others to not compromise my collection. I never paid any attention to what liner or size of any of them. Maybe that matters for my set.
  7. Cold-War-Charlie

8. Cold-War-Charlie

9. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

10. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Imported surplus has stickers and stamps on them, often or most of the time, to satisfy US Customs. I think this is true, to explain why that says "made in germany"
  11. Cold-War-Charlie

The liners are fine. If you look they are the same as one of mine.
  12. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Does DDR surplus in the UK have "made in Germany" stamped or on stickers?
  13. Cold-War-Charlie

Never looked but I don't think so.
  14. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

here we see sewn in Made in Germany with washing instructions, white stickers with "Made in Germany", and rubber stamped "Made in Germany" We also see some items with none of those.
  15. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

From my experience "Made in Germany" implies an official export a) made in West Germany before the fall of the wall or b) From 1991.
    East German stuff was marked by the producer although official imports (Not Many in UK) carried DDR or GDR marks.
  16. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I agree with you. Who knows what nonsense US Customs or whoever required and what they were thinking. DDR NVA items don't seem to have obvious makers markings, maybe that is why.
  17. Cold-War-Charlie

I have checked the liners of both my parade helmets and there are no markings apart from one which has 59 on the liner
  18. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

That is interesting. I bet someone, or a crew, sat and stamped, sewed, and stuck "Made in Germany" on all of the things going to distributors in the USA. Gibt es andere Moeglichkeiten?
  19. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

Regarding Above
    1) DDR items should have had makers marks for internal use AND DDR or GDR (Same thing Except 1st is in German & 2nd in English) for export.

2) As NVA was military usual military codes /id's used for internal consumption. Military exports would have been marked in some way, possibly different codes.
  20. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Yes, your 2 above would seem to be the case. The items were never meant for export and the country of manufacture no long exists so they just put Germany. My guess is that the BRD will not permit DDR products that are now being exported as NOS or used to be stamped as Made in GDR.