1. biertje

biertje Puttering Along

I'm actually looking for a bit of inspiration here. I have a panama green 601 as can be seen in my profile pic. Now obviously looks are a personal preference, but any ideas would be appreciated. I need to repaint both the headlight covers as they are starting to blister and rust a bit. I thought this would be a good opportunity to make the car a bit more two tone. Personally I was thinking painting them papyrus white along with the roof. Maybe around the grill area orange, but not sure about that.

The other option was going a la mini and putting a nice DDR flag on the roof, but not sure if that will look naff.

So my main questions are:
    does anyone have the colour code for papyrus white and panamagrun?
    Has anyone got experience of painting the duroplast? Is it the same as metal, aka just sand it down primer, base, main and clear coat? I'm especially worried about the sanding, don't want to go too far down.
    Also anyone repainted the wheels?

Any hints and tips appreciated.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. lilbg

lilbg Puttering Along

3. lilbg

lilbg Puttering Along

And.. I have pappyrus limousine and panamagrün universal, but code of colour is special for each car. Each car have little different colour tone.
  4. biertje

biertje Puttering Along

Thanks, amazing site. Yes I'm guessing that the DDR didn't have the best materials available for making all paint the same. :)
    Would you be able to post a pic of your papyrus car. My googling comes up with lots of different shades. I have found various people saying it's RAL 9018, but that seems too grey to me....
  5. lilbg

lilbg Puttering Along

6. biertje

biertje Puttering Along

Nice, I like that colour. I will let the green grow on me for now. Maybe I can go to a paint shop where they can colour match it :) Thanks for the hints.
    Still not sure if I should paint the roof an off white though.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  7. lilbg

lilbg Puttering Along

Panamagrün with pappyrus roof is nice :). And it'll look like original deluxe.
    here is list of original colours and years, when they were used :)
    http://www.trabant.cz/barvy/p601
  8. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

Actually the GDR chemical industry had some wild colors for cars. Problem was, few could afford them. Hence, to paraphrase Henry Ford, you can have any color you want, as long as it's papyrusweiss....